Abt Associates Project Assistant / Entomological Coordinator - VectorLink Mozambique in Mozambique
The International Development Division focuses on improving the lives and economic well-being of people in lower and middle-income countries. We command technical expertise in health, agriculture, climate change, food security and governance—as well as in international evaluation. Our multi-layered health portfolio includes policy, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. In partnership with government clients and local experts, our high-quality programs in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East are known for impact and innovation.
Abt Associates seeks a qualified Entomological Coordinator to support the VectorLink project in Mozambique. Under the supervision of the Technical Director-Senior Entomologist, the Entomological Coordinator will be responsible for timely and high quality field entomological work and will assist the Entomology Insectary Technicians with managing the insectary.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
Coordinate the implementation of the following set of entomological field activities:
Establishment of sentinel sites
- Monitor vector density and behavior pre- and post-deployment of vector control interventions using World Health Organization (WHO) standard mosquito sampling methods
- Conduct wall bioassays within two weeks after every spray cycle and on new insecticide treated mosquito nets (ITNs) before distribution to evaluate the quality spray and products
- Conduct wall bioassays monthly in selected districts to evaluate the residual efficacy of sprayed insecticides and bi-annually to evaluate insecticidal activity of ITNs
- Monitor vector susceptibility tests to currently use and candidate insecticides on annual basis. Conduct intensity and synergist assays in sentinel sites selected for insecticide resistance monitoring
- Provide guidance and support to a focal counterpart from the MOH/NMCP or research institution for the supervision of district-level field teams of entomological technicians or vector control officers who perform mosquito collections and tests
- Ensure that the field teams follow all WHO approved guidelines, protocols, and techniques for mosquito collections and tests
- Ensure that all data from all collection activities are recorded on data entry forms, perform mosquito identifications, and undertake data analysis and prepare monitoring reports
- Implement capacity-building efforts to increase and expand the skills of local counterparts and field team technicians
- Assist with procurement requests related to the field entomological activities
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures for these activities
- Supervise and support the Entomology Insectary Technicians in managing the insectary operations
- Supervise and support entomology field technicians in the implementation of entomological monitoring in the field
- Ensure proper and timely data recording and entry
- Perform any other duty assigned by the Technical Director-Senior Entomologist
This position may require frequent visits to the field and sentinel sites for mosquito collection.
- ( 3+ ) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, Abt Associates is committed to fostering a diverse, multicultural work environment where our employees respect one another and share a commitment to our firm's values, mission, and strategies. Abt Associates Inc. provides equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to age, race, color, sex, creed, citizenship status, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status, or veteran status.
- Abt Associates Jobs