BP Americas, Inc. Senior Process Engineer in Toledo, Ohio
Senior Process Engineer
BP is looking for talented, innovative and driven individuals to join our team. We support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and challenging environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. BP is committed to fostering an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly.
There are many aspects of our employees’ lives that are important, so we offer benefits to enable work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy and others.
The Senior Process Engineer will act as the technical advisor for an assigned area. The focus of this role is to ensure a higher-level support of safe and reliable operation, as well as continued improvement in business performance through hazard identification, unit health monitoring, process modelling, constraint management, project development. You will be an advisor for Process Engineers within their assigned area. This job description is intended to provide an overview of the position and does not include all the tasks that might be required to provide support for your area job requirements.
United States - Ohio - Toledo
Is this a part time position?:
Yes - up to 10%
• Provides technical support to the area in the form of troubleshooting, data analysis, and root cause failure analysis
• Reviews the plans for plant testing prior to seeking agreement from Process Engineer Superintendent and approval from Operations Superintendent
• Owns the unit ‘Base Case’ Hysys/Petrosim models for the area; maintains the models following plant testing or project execution
• Responsible for assuring effective unit health monitoring i.e. views and agrees to parameters and limits, ensures parameters outside of acceptable range are recognized, acted upon and escalated if necessary
• Site Continuous Improvement Forum Lead; Technology Specific Group Practices subject matter expert for area of assignment
• Supports the development of operations personnel through coaching/mentoring and follow-up on requests for support and information
• Coaches and mentors Process Engineers on technical and leadership aspects of their job and jointly leads recruiting and co-op program and leads new hire onboarding program
• Backfills Unit Process Engineering roles as resource level fluctuates with onboarding
• Coordinates or leads Technical Root Cause Failure Analysis for area
• Supports the development of a project portfolio for the area
• Provides technical support for Capex project design reviews, and hazard assessments
• Provides recommendations for catalyst selection and for the site change-out strategy
• Leads Information Management and Document Control program for Technical group
• Energy Champion for the area ensuring all key energy indicators are being tracked and optimized
• Lead/Support special projects and/or initiatives that cross unit or area boundaries
Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering
Desirable criteria and qualifications:
• Ability to provide mentoring and coaching for Process Engineers
• Ability to participate in technology network across BP to share knowledge, lessons, and implement best practice
• Experience managing technical related project portfolio for area
We are a global energy business involved in every aspect of the energy system. We have 75,000 employees in 80 countries, working towards delivering light, heat and mobility to millions of people, every day. We are one of the very few companies equipped to solve some of the big complex challenges that matter for the future. We have a real contribution to make to the world's ambition of a low carbon future. Join us, and be part of what we can accomplish together.
The Downstream segment has global manufacturing and marketing operations. It is the product and service-led arm of BP, made up of three businesses (Fuels, Lubricants, and Petrochemicals).
We aim to run safe and reliable operations across all our businesses, supported by leading brands and technologies, to deliver high-quality products and services that meet our customers’ needs.
Disciplined execution of our strategy is helping improve our underlying performance, capture opportunities for further growth, generate attractive returns and create a more resilient business that is better able to withstand a range of market conditions; and create opportunities for future growth.
The 4,400 employees of BP’s Fuels, North America business refine, store, move, deliver and market a wide range of distinctive and high-quality energy products that drive economic growth. Our U.S. refineries in Indiana, Ohio and Washington have a net daily processing capacity of 746,000 barrels. We manage more than 3,200 miles of pipeline and, through our interest in BP Midstream Partners LP, have an ownership stake in nearly 1,500 additional miles.
We also have a growing network of retail stations that provide fuels and convenience products to consumers at around 7,100 BP- and ARCO-branded sites, and close to 1,000 ampm convenience stores in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona and Nevada.
Application close date:
United States - Ohio
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test (and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (4 cm/1 ½” scalp, or > 2 cm/¾” body – arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. ( Spanish version )
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement .
Essential experience and job requirements:
• Minimum of 6 years of experience in refining or petrochemical industry
• Prioritize and manage work to support both long and short-term refinery strategy and plans
• Identifies hazards, is able to define and manage risks; process safety, personal safety, environmental, health, and security
• Exercise open thinking and learning, with decision making and judgment skills
• Ability to provide technical support across multiple organizational interfaces; supporting Operations, HSSE, TAR, Projects, Maintenance and Reliability
• Experience evaluating data, troubleshooting, and offering systematic approach to root cause identification
• Understanding of the manufacturing process including economics, commercial awareness, optimization opportunity identification and proper use of technology
Other Requirements (eg Travel, Location):
There are no additional requirements. Please respond with N/A below.
If you are applying for a position in the United States, you must be at least 18 years of age, legally authorized to work in the United States; and not require sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., TN, H1B status), now or in the future.