St. Mary's Good Samaritan Certified Medical Assistant - Orthopedics- St. Charles & Wentzville in St. Charles, Missouri
Exceptional Patient Care: Medical Assistants create a positive patient care experience by greeting, preparing, exiting and following up with patients for providers according to established competency guidelines, policies and procedures. Patient care responsibilities are provided under the direct supervision of a physician or designated dependent provider who is given such designation in writing (i.e., collaborative practice agreement or physician assistant supervision agreement).
- Promoting infection prevention by complying with all policies for hand hygiene, environmental cleanliness and appropriate storage. Universal precautions must be understood and followed.
- Performing cleaning, disinfection and sterilization of instruments, where applicable. Competency verification for disinfection and sterilization practices will occur upon hire and no less than annually thereafter
- Accurate measurement and documentation of vital signs. Competency verification will occur upon hire and no less than annually thereafter. Accurately performing and documenting all point-of-care testing. Competency verification will occur upon hire and no less than annually thereafter.
- Dispense oral contract consistent with a physician order. Initiating physician-approved standing orders for medication prescription refills, but only for an established patient when the prescription has no changes to dosage, quantity, frequency or route. Taking verbal orders for outpatient diagnostic and therapeutic care, consistent with SSMSTL policy, and only from a supervising physician or designated dependent provider. Medical assistants may not accept verbal orders for inpatient diagnostic and therapeutic care.
- Accurately entering pended orders in the electronic health record
- Accurately document patient information in the electronic health for diagnostic and therapeutic care. Pended orders must be reviewed and signed/authorized by the ordering physician or dependent provider prior to being initiated.
- Administering medications consistent with the SSMSTL Medication Administration policy. Handling sample medications, where applicable, consistent with SSMSTL policy and procedures.
- Actively participate in all hospital/department education, training, in-services and huddles to confirm understanding of new information or changes to established clinical policies and procedures
- Respecting the rights and privacy/confidentiality of patient. Following patient safety policies and procedures.
- Address Health Maintenance and Best Practice Alerts, and notify supervising physicians/providers of such Alerts, when applicable
High School or GED plus accredited Medical Assistant education or a minimum of one year equivalent job experience.
CMA certification or RMA registration
Knowledge of basic laboratory equipment, physician office operations and medical terminology.
Proficient in various office products and computer programs.
- Minimum of 3 months ambulatory or physician office experience preferred, to include school externships.
Employees in this position are, or can be, required to possess the following physical capabilities:
- Lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling up to 20 lbs.
- Stooping, kneeling and/or crouching daily
- Standing or walking more than 4 hours a day
- Running to respond to patient emergencies
- Reaching, grasping, fingering, and/or feeling more than 6 hours a day
- Visual acuity in order to correctly distinguish skin tone variations, evidence of IV infiltration, infection; able to read telemetry, blood pressure gauges, etc.
- Audio acuity in order to correctly distinguish various body sounds (i.e., respirations, heart tones, bowel sounds).
- Audio acuity to discern sounds made by various types of machinery or equipment that would indicate dangerous or improper operation.
Organization: SSM Health Medical Group Business Office
Primary Location: Missouri-St. Charles-SSM Health Medical Group - 1475 Kisker Road
Work Locations: SSM Health Medical Group - 1475 Kisker Road (0125.38) 1475 Kisker Road St. Charles, 63303
Job: Clinical Support & Technical Services
Req ID: 19510947