Trinity Health Unit Assistant - IMCB - FT 36hr Nights in Springfield, Massachusetts
The Unit Assistant is a care provider responsible for completing a variety of activities and tasks in order to assist all of the nursing units to aid in the care of patients and families. This role is a member of the designated care team functioning under the direction and supervision of the Registered Nurse. The Unit Assistant is cognizant of the philosophy, standards, objectives quality initiatives and policies of the department and hospital.
*PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:*
- Responds to the units assigned by pager call, as well as all ERT, Rapid Response and Code Star calls.
- Performs procedures and treatments such as EKGs, simple dressings, straight/Foley Catheters and reports the findings to the Registered Nurse.
- Assists the orderly with transfers, boosting and positioning.
- Responds to units with a higher acuity, increased volume and/or with several patients moving on and off the unit, to assist with patient care needs (need determined and approved by the Nursing Supervisor.)
- Responds to units with specific needs (completing bed changes, assisting with tray delivery and patients that require an assist with feeding.)
- Awareness of ER admissions to assist with settling the new patient, including vital signs and personal belongings log.
*REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:*
- General Knowledge normally acquired through obtaining a High School diploma.
- Graduate of Certified Nursing Assistant Program or former experience in the capacity of an EMT, nurse assistant, orderly or adequate clinical experience as a student nurse. PCT experience preferred.
- Certified in C.P.R. Work requires the ability to exchange information on factual matters. This type of interaction requires courtesy and tact when dealing with patients and their families, visitors and/or hospital staff (HEAL).
- Work requires providing direct patient care as well as assisting several departments throughout the shift.
- Requires exposure to blood and various body fluids, which require caution and use of established safety guidelines and equipment.
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects/patients with or without reasonable accommodations (when assistive devises are available they are required to be used).
- Reports to the Clinical Nurse Supervisor.
- Has no responsibility for the direct supervision of any other employees.
Job Number: 00107474
Location: Springfield, MA
Organization Name: Mercy Medical Center
Facility: SPMA - Mercy Medical Center
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: 12 Hour Night Shift