Trinity Health Medical Assistant - Endoscopy - PT 20 hours, FLEX schedule. in Springfield, Massachusetts
According to established policies and procedures, prepares patient appropriately and performs tasks including, but not limited to, laboratory procedures, specimens, physical exam, history, data collection, EKGs, and process information to RN. Organizes and prioritizes time and duties to assure patient progression through the Unit in a timely manner. Works with department to provide positive patient outcomes.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES: *** *
- Assures patient safety through proper identification process, appropriate directions and assistance when necessary.
- Explains blood-drawing procedure to patients in order to allay fears.
Performs veni-puncture according to established aseptic techniques to obtain blood specimens in accordance with physicians’ orders, utilizing Universal Precautions.
Instructs patients in specimen collection methods and procedures (i.e., urinalysis) and obtains specimens.
- Labels, dates, and records specimens obtained.
- Monitors inventory and restocks supplies as necessary in order to maintain inventory at established levels.
- Maintains records of patients seen, type, and number of specimens obtained.
- Assures accurate and complete documentation on assessment record, and/or computer and notifies physicians and other departments of results as necessary.
- Prepares charts for the OR, ensuring all paperwork is included.
- Calls for and files all paperwork pertinent to OR patients, i.e. - Labs, EKGs, H & Ps, etc.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of medical assisting normally associated with obtaining an Associate’s Degree in Medical Assistance is preferred.
- National Certification as a Medical Assistant preferred.
- Work requires the ability to gather and interpret data in situations where the information or problems are not overly difficult or complex.
- Work requires the ability to exchange information on factual matters, schedule appointments, record vital signs in patient’s chart, greet visitors, explain hospital policies, and/or relay patient’s needs to appropriate personnel. This type of interaction requires courtesy and tack when dealing with patients and their families, visitors, and/or hospital employees.
- Work requires providing direct patient care to infants, toddlers, children, and adolescent along with adult and geriatric patients.
- Some minor physical inconvenience or discomfort routinely present in the work situation (moderate noisy, disagreeable odors, etc.), or, occasional exposure to minor injury or other occupational hazards requiring Universal Precautions.
- Nature of the work frequently requires considerable or heavy workload, highly irregular and unpredictable or particularly long hours, such as covering double shifts because of shortage of personnel, etc., placing heavy demands on home and/or social life; or there may be considerable work pressures involving delicate or potentially serious matters to the organization as a whole.
- Requires considerable physical effort on a consistent basis as in lifting, pulling or pushing an unyielding load (heavy, bulky, awkward, more than 40 pounds.)
- Requires exposure to blood and various body fluids, which requires caution and use of established safety guidelines and equipment using Universal Precautions.
*REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS: ** *
- Reports to the Clinical Nurse Supervisor.
- Has no responsibility supervising or leading others.
Job Number: 00110778
Location: Springfield, MA
Organization Name: Mercy Medical Center
Facility: SPMA - Mercy Medical Center
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: Day Shift