Trinity Health CVIR Technologist Full time 30 hours 1 PM – 7:30 PM. in Springfield, Massachusetts
Performs specialized radiologic procedures under sterile technique in order to aid physicians in diagnosis and treatment of patients. In doing so, prepares examination area, positions patients for procedures and operates complex radiology equipment in accordance with established techniques and routines. Assists physicians as necessary by passing materials, monitoring patient vital signs, taking exposures as directed, and so forth.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Prepares examination area by ensuring cleanliness and asceptability of all exposed surfaces, obtaining and arranging specialized equipment and sterile supplies to be used in procedure, ensures equipment is in proper operating condition.
- Prepares patients for procedures by positioning patients, applying sterile technique to catheter insertion sites, applying mobilization and sliding devices, and so forth. Explains procedures to patients to allay apprehensions and elicit cooperation.
- Calculates and selects proper technical factors on radiographic, C.T. and fluoroscopic equipment such as voltage, current, exposure time and focal distance based on factors such as patients' size, physical condition, and suspected pathology.
- Operates complex radiology and C.T. equipment such as special x‑ray tubes for filming, high speed serial radiography, pressure injectors and video tape equipment in accordance with established techniques and routines; in doing so, sets, adjusts and manipulates electronic controls in order to obtain suitable radiographic exposures.
- Selects proper film sequences and, as appropriate, proper injection programs to ensure necessary exposures are obtained for diagnostic procedures.
- Assists physicians and Radiologists during procedures by providing materials such as radiopaque substances, monitoring patients' vital signs, taking images, and assisting in administration of contrast medias.
- Ensures radiologic special procedures equipment is in proper working order by notifying appropriate personnel of malfunctioning equipment.
- Schedules radiologic special procedures examinations ensuring smooth flow and optimal utilization of equipment, and maintains necessary patient records and files.
- Requisitions, stores, and inventories approved supplies such as catheters, guide wires, needles, drapes, gowns, gloves, and pharmaceuticals in assigned areas.
- Maintains required files and records, and performs patient tracking in real time. Maintains compliance in State Radiation Control, Joint Commission and/or regulatory requirements.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Work requires the level of knowledge normally acquired through completion of an Associate's degree program in Radiologic Technology and three years experience in radiologic technology. Massachusetts license and A.R.R.T. registration required. C.V.I.R. registration preferred. C.V.I.R. registration required within 3 years of hire. ACLS preferred.
- Work requires the analytical ability to resolve complex problems requiring the use of basic scientific, mathematical, or technical principles and in‑depth, experienced‑based knowledge.
- Work requires the ability to exchange information on factual matters, schedule appointments, record vital signs in patients' charts, greet visitors, explain Hospital policies, and/or relay patients' needs to appropriate personnel.
- Work requires providing direct patient care to pediatric, adolescent, young adult, adult and geriatric patients.
- Requires working in an area in which there is exposure to radiation, which requires caution and use of established safety guidelines and equipment.
- May require lifting, standing, bending, transferring, stooping, stretching, walking, pushing, pulling up to and over 40 pounds; partial or complete assistance with activities of daily living without assistance from another health care worker.
- Reports to the manager.
- Has no responsibility for the direct supervision of any employees. Has the responsibility of training new employees and students.
Job Number: 00086535
Location: Springfield, MA
Organization Name: Mercy Medical Center
Facility: SPMA - Mercy Medical Center
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Evening Shift