Trinity Health Nursing Assistant Stepdown Full-Time in Sioux City, Iowa
MERCY MEDICAL CENTER
Position Title: Nursing Assistant
Job Code: 1008
Reports To: Manager- Patient Care Unit
Pay Grade: 13
Dept/Clinic: Nursing Services
Approved By: Human Resources
Date: November 2018
OSHA: 1 - Exposure
Under direct supervision, the Certified Nurse Assistant is responsible for assisting with direct patient care as well as other work on the unit, which supports the patient environment. Work will include components of direct patient care, nutrition, observation, documentation, transportation and general maintenance of the patient environment. Adheres to the principles of Service Excellence Guiding Behaviors and the philosophy and mission of Mercy in all aspects of job performance.
AGE OF POPULATION SERVED
Pediatric Adolescent Adult Geriatric
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCIES:
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide service/care appropriate to the age of the patients served, in accordance with Mercy standards.
- Assists and prioritizes activities of daily living and other cares with the guidance and delegation of the RN.
- Obtains and records vital signs – temperature, blood pressure, pulse, respirations, oximetry, and pain score; height/weight; intake/output; and records the information appropriately, accurately and in a timely manner with notification to the nurses as needed.
- Maintains knowledge and demonstrates competency in the use of patient equipment i.e., manual and automatic blood pressure machine, pulse oximeters, bladder scanner, restraints, electronic scales, gait belts, intermittent pneumatic compression stockings (SCD), heating pads, ice bags, wall suction set-up and Yankeur suction, placement of telemetry, mechanical lifts, bed scales, bed and chair alarms, and personal alarms.
- Assists with patient treatments such as repositioning, pre-operative hair removal and shower preps. Empties all drains and collection bags (except intracranial pressure monitoring drains [Becker] and chest tubes).
- Assists with, documents and records procedures – maintains oxygen rates; performs finger sticks for blood glucose monitoring; records chest tube levels; ambulates patients while maintaining tubes; performs specimen collections of stool, sputum, clean catch/24 hour urine; VRE/MRSA swabs of rectum and nare.
- Records acquired data and observations resulting from patient care such as vitals, patient activity, tolerance, elimination and nutrition within the EMR.
- Identifies and communicates significant changes in patient’s status (potential or actual adverse patient occurrences) to the registered nurse.
- Communicates and collaborates effectively with Registered Nurse and other multidisciplinary team members as well as patients, families and significant others. Participates in bedside handoff at shift change.
- Assists with patient dismissal process – packs up belongings, dresses patient, escorts patient as directed by nurse to awaiting vehicle. Assists RN with transfer to other care areas.
- Assists RN in hourly patient rounds. Responds to patient call lights to determine patient need and takes appropriate action in a timely manner.
- Assists with post mortem care of the patient and transports the body to the hospital morgue as delegated.
- Initiates appropriate measures to insure safety/well-being of patient, family, visitors and staff. Responds appropriately to Emergency Codes.
- Prior to meal service in designated patient care areas, verifies patient and diet information; insures availability of appropriate meal trays.
- Serves meal to patients. Provides assistance and feeds patient as needed. Accommodates special requests when possible.
- Provides follow-up to meal service; collects trays; records fluid intake, calorie counts and appetite assessment. Distributes HS snacks and documents refusal as well as communicating same to nurse.
- Maintains cleanliness, organization, and safety of the patient environment.
- Actively participates in intradepartmental meetings/in-services on unit.
- Maintains competencies on an ongoing basis.
- Is knowledgeable of and participates in improving patient safety. Recognizes and communicates issues/occurrences utilizing the VOICE documentation system. Notifies the nurse/manager. Assists in identifying ways to resolve issues by utilizing problem solving techniques.
- Discontinues intravenous access as requested by the Registered Nurse.
- Knows, understands, incorporates, and demonstrates the Mercy and Trinity Health Mission, Vision, and Values in behaviors, practices, and decisions.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws and regulations, Mercy and Trinity Health’s Organizational Integrity Program, Standards of Conduct, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical, and professional behavior.
- Maintains confidentiality of information pertaining to patients, physicians, employees, and Mercy business.
- Demonstrates general working knowledge of computers and department specific software (i.e. Healthstream, internet, etc.)
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties so assigned.
We serve together in Mercy and Trinity Health, in the spirit of the Gospel, to heal body, mind and spirit, to improve the health of our communities and to steward the resources entrusted to us.
*GUIDING BEHAVIORS *
The Guiding Behaviors are the behaviors necessary for all of us to achieve our Vision. They are:
- We support each other in serving our patients and communities.
- We communicate openly, honestly, respectfully and directly.
- We are fully present.
- We are all accountable.
- We trust and assume goodness in intentions.
- We are continuous learners.
Must be able to embrace and adhere to the Guiding Behaviors of the organization and support the Mission of Trinity Health.
Must demonstrate good work habits such as time management, attendance, punctuality, team building and other behaviors aligned to the Guiding Behaviors of the organization.
- Must have a high school diploma/GED or must be at least 16 years old and actively pursuing high school diploma.
- Must have successfully completed a 75 hour credit (or more) Nursing Assistant Program (Certified Nurse Assistant) from an accredited school.
- Maintains certification in B.C.L.S.
- Must have a general working knowledge of computers and department specific software (i.e. Healthstream, internet, etc.)
- Must be comfortable operating in a collaborative, shared leadership environment.
- Must possess a personal presence that is characterized by a sense of honesty, integrity, and caring with the ability to inspire and motivate others to promote the philosophy, mission, vision, goals, and values of Mercy and Trinity Health.
Mercy cultivates, upholds and supports a safe work environment. Associates support patient and staff safety by demonstrating aptitude and maintaining organizational employment standards and requirements. Associate job performance is continually appraised and formally evaluated during the course of employment with Mercy.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- Must successfully pass employment physical examination and must adhere to applicable organizational requirements on an annual basis for Employee Health Directives.
- Must possess the ability to comply with Mercy and Trinity Health policies and procedures.
- Primarily works inside with frequent sitting, walking, standing, bending and occasional lifting of supplies not in excess of 35 pounds.
- Uses appropriate safety transfer techniques and body mechanics when moving, transporting, etc., of patients or equipment, sometimes in excess of 35 pounds.
- Able to perform effectively under stressful situations.
- Must understand and accept the possibility of exposure to environmental elements, such as inclement weather, dust, noise, chemicals and/or chemical fumes, and infectious disease.
These essential functions identify the major requirements of the job. They are not an exhaustive list of all job requirements. An employee may be called upon to perform physical actions not specifically identified in this job description
Job Number: 00097872
Location: Sioux City, IA
Organization Name: Mercy Medical Center - Sioux City
Facility: MMCIA - MMC South Building
Employment Type: Full time