University of Utah Research Assistant Professor in Computer Engineering in Salt Lake City, Utah
Proposed Faculty Rank Research Assistant Professor in Computer Engineering
Department 00065 - Elect & Computer Engineering
City Salt Lake City, UT
Track Non Tenure Track
New Position to Begin As soon as possible
1. Job Summary: Our lab carries innovative research in the field of ultra-high-energy-efficiency computing and sensing nanosystems. We are looking to expand our team of research for projects related to open-source VLSI and EDA technologies.
2. Qualifications: Applications should have a PhD (or equivalent industrial experience) in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or Computer Science, with experience in at least one of these areas: Front-end VLSI design, Back-end VLSI design, Logic synthesis, Machine learning, Open-source software engineering. Applicants need to be fluent in English (spoken and written). Furthermore, a strong publication record (or demonstrated industrial experience) in a relevant area is required. Applicants should have demonstrated the ability to lead a team of junior researchers.
3. Responsibilities: Research faculty in our group are expected to manage and guide the research of a team of junior researchers in order to advance their respective research projects as well as report and publish the results in scientific journals and conferences. Furthermore, they are expected to develop new concepts with the potential to result in patents, publications and products as well as participate and take the lead in writing grant proposals. Additionally, they are expected to be able to demonstrate and teach the students the details of efficient software implementation and experiments.
4. Preferences: Ideally applicants should have several of the following:
• High motivation, reliability and commitment to research
• Creativity and strong problem-solving skills
• Strong C/C++ skills and experience with large software engineering projects
• Experience with VLSI chip tape-outs
• Experience with VLSI testing
• Experience with logic optimization techniques and data structures
• Experience with free open-source software projects
• Experience with commercial EDA tools, such as Synopsys or Cadence
• Experience with convolutional neural networks
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate based upon race, national origin, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, status as a person with a disability, genetic information, or Protected Veteran status. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities and protected veterans are encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities. To inquire about the University’s nondiscrimination or affirmative action policies or to request disability accommodation, please contact: Director, Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Circle, Rm 135, (801) 581-8365.
The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in settings with students from diverse backgrounds, and possess a strong commitment to improving access to higher education for historically underrepresented students.
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“ URS ”). Eligible new hires with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in URS if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen and immunizations.
Special Instructions for Candidates
This position is posted at 0.75 FTE . The expectation is that the employee in this position may fund up to 0.25 FTE out of grant funding procured by the employee.
Open Date 04/09/2019
Open Until Filled Yes
Requisition Number PRN00391CF