Microsoft Corporation Support Escalation Engineer in Redmond, Washington
The Support Escalation Engineer is responsible for support delivery, working with customers to resolve complex technical customer issues related to the newest Azure features running on the Microsoft Azure Platform.
In addition, the Support Escalation Engineer plays a critical role in the implementation of Azure Platform support capabilities which includes working with the Engineering Group and Azure Supportability PMs to implement asks; identify technology, and/or process readiness needs, and work with Training PMs and Technical Leads to ensure support team readiness; and, develop relationships with and engage with technology-specific support teams for customer incident resolution when required.
Specific measurements include achieving the CPE team goals, time to resolution or escalation, enabling a response time similar to competitors; maintaining technical skills through completion of ongoing readiness and platform training; and, in general participating in the creation of future Microsoft support capabilities for Incubated Technologies in Microsoft Azure.
Are you interested in the cloud business and enabling the newest IaaS workloads in Azure? The Microsoft Azure Platform is strategic to Microsoft enabling customers, ISVs, and Microsoft IT to develop, test, and deploy solutions in the cloud to take advantage of economies of scale, reliability, globally distributed data centers, and generally reduce the effort of managing a dedicated IT infrastructure. Azure is a growing leader in the cloud market with Azure Support enabling customer success and providing a key differentiator when customers make buying decisions.
Azure Support is a strategic unit of Customer Support Services (CSS) responsible for the following:
The definition and implementation of the support services required to win in the cloud marketplace.
Resolving customer issues including complex technical scenarios integrating multiple cloud capabilities and service availability, quality, outage management.
Provide critical product feedback to multiple Engineering Groups to drive service quality allowing for larger customer adoption.
Lead the integration of CSS talent to resolve Azure Incubation Team issues as part of the Azure Support ecosystem.
Engaging with customers running heterogeneous operating systems (Linux, Windows) on Azure Infrastructure Services.
The opportunity is to be part of the evolution of Azure and cloud support services, to be constantly challenged as the Platform expands to provide broader capabilities to customers, support customers using a service rather than on-premises products, and to work in collaboration with multiple Microsoft teams inside CSS and Engineering (Product Group).
• Leadership - Handle technically challenging and politically sensitive customer situations and passionately advocate on behalf customers
• Self-Starter - Must thrive in ambiguous situations
• Strong communications skills – Excellent spoken and written English communication skills
• Effective, polished interaction with customer to gather information quickly; explain customer responsibilities in resolving issue; communicate next steps and status in a way the customer understands; and inspire confidence in new Microsoft features
• Cross-team collaboration
• Logical and Critical thinking
• Passion for technology and customers
• Understanding of cloud vs. on-premises computing. Familiarity with fundamentals of cloud computing.
• Demonstrable mature troubleshooting skills.
• Achieve operational precision:
• Adhere to published queue or call back schedule and be available for different shifts, as necessary.
• Use appropriate documentation and utilization and / or labor tracking methods to account for time.
• Manage and prioritize your workload while keeping team members and management appropriately informed.
• Participate in ad-hoc projects per management request or business need.
• Familiarity with one, or more, shell environments (BASH, sh, tcsh, ksh, etc.)
• Experience administering Linux (boot process, file systems, network device and protocol configuration)
• Familiarity with core OS services such as: SSH, telnet, FTP, NFS, DNS, DHCP, Samba, LDAP
• Familiarity with security and OS Internals concepts
• Understanding of Virtualization concepts and virtual system administration
• Cloud experience strongly preferred
• Solid networking experience including industry certifications preferred but not required
• 3 years of support or equivalent experience including a customer-facing or customer support role
• B.S. degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form at https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Microsoft Corporation Jobs