Microsoft Corporation Senior Design Researcher in Redmond, Washington
We’re building the practices, tools, and culture that allow development teams to collaborate, experiment, ship, support each other and learn every day. Our customers spend hours a day using our tools – which means it’s critical that we understand what they’re trying to do and how they prefer to work. As part of our team, you will help develop that understanding and use it to improve tools our customers already love—like Azure DevOps and Visual Studio App Center—or to create new tools and experiences.
In the Developer Services team, we’re building a culture where everyone researches. Regardless of job title, we expect everyone to have customer conversations, observe usage behaviors, and measure success by “how did I make this developer’s life better?” vs “what feature did I ship?” You’ll be a critical part in teaching those skills and helping teams build their product decision-making processes around customer insights.
Everyone researches, but not everyone is a design researcher. You’ll work closely with product teams to answer customer questions using a variety of tactical and strategic research methods. You’ll bring together open threads and hypotheses to form a cohesive research plan, establish user experience goals and metrics, and analyze and synthesize what you learn. You’ll answer both the “what? why?” questions and make strong “so here’s how we should address these insights in the product” recommendations.
You’ll have strong executive support and peers who are eager to learn from you. This is not an org where you’ll have to ‘explain the value of research’! The ideal candidate will come in with strong recommendations and a love of listening, teaching, mentoring, and convincing.
• Help us answer customer questions through a variety of research methods and turn insights into recommendations
• Partner with product teams to deeply understand customer needs and usage and keep customer impact front-and-center throughout the development process
• Help design workshops and training to build skills around customer interviewing, idea validation and synthesis
• Conduct diverse product research activities such as market analysis, surveys, workshops, observational research, user journey mapping, scenario creation, target audience segmentation, and traditional user studies etc. and a strength in leading complex “front end” research
• Communicate and evangelize research results to engineering and business teams and upper management
• Practice and help evolve the team’s research techniques and toolset to work effectively within a rapid product development cadence
• A minimum of 5 years of industry experience in user research with a proven track record of turning insights into product decisions
• Thorough knowledge and experience of a range of UX research approaches and methodologies
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence a range of audiences from targeted impact with teams to broad impact with executives
• Excellent project management skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form at https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest .
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
- Microsoft Corporation Jobs