Trinity Health Temporary Phlebotomist in Pontiac, Michigan
Please note: This is a Temporary Position.
I Accountability Objectives:
Responsible for performing phlebotomy in a variety of environments in the inpatient and outpatient settings. The inpatient settings to include the medical/surgical and behavioral medicine areas. This will include all aspects of specimen collection, documentation, and submission to the laboratory for analysis. Other areas of responsibility may include specimen reception, clients offices, or Satellite labs.
II Position Qualifications:
Minimum Education, Licensure / Certification and Experience Required.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of Medical Assistant/Certified Nursing Assistant or Phlebotomy program or equivalent required.
- Two year college degree in biological science or health related field, preferred.
B. Licensure / Certification
- Current cert one of the following:
- AMT (American Medical Technologist) ASCP (American Soc of Clinical Pathologists) or
- NCPT (National Soc of Certified Phlebotomy Technicians) or
- NCCT (Nat'l Center for Competency Testing)
- See below for cert. requirement.
- Should associate not complete the certification as stated in #1 above within 12 months of start of position, he/she shall no longer be qualified for position and will be ""displaced"" in accordance with bargaining language.
- Current Heart Saver (HS) certification.
C Special Skill / Aptitudes
- Fast paced patient service environment. Must be able to stand, walk and move for up to 100% of work hours. Minimal sitting involved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical terminology, medical laboratory orders, container types, anatomy and physiology as it relates to phlebotomy.
- Familiarity with PC applications preferred.
- Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital personnel, outside customers and community groups.
A minimum of 3 months inpatient phlebotomy or working experience in a medical or health industry in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of patient care
A documented successful completion of phlebotomy externship
III Duties / Responsibilities:
- Collect blood samples using appropriate phlebotomy technique and following all policies related to handling of blood specimens.
- Recognizes factors that affect specimen collection procedures and test results such as specific patient indicators, order of draw, and timed specimens.
- Proficient in a variety of collection techniques such as vacutainer, syringe, butterfly, and capillary methods.
- Rotates to outpatient labs as needed.
- Carry hospital pager in order to respond to department needs including communication, staffing, and stats.
- Rotates to inpatient/outpatient specimen processing areas. To include answering the phone, putting specimens on automated line, centrifuging, manually logging in specimens, managing stat paging, answering requests for results, and courier dispatch for outreach operations, entry of lab test requests into the
- Performs miscellaneous computer duties as assigned.
- Completes daily job assignments and follows Job Instruction Sheets.
- Maintains equipment and work area in a clean manner.
- Works independently with minimal supervision.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the competencies/essential functions satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in the job.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of St. Joseph Mercy Oakland through performing behaviors consistent with the Trinity Health Values.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations, the Trinity Health Organizational Integrity Program, including the Standards of Conduct, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behaviors.
- Supports and conducts one's self in a manner consistent with customer service expectations.
Job Number: 00119299
Location: Pontiac, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - On Camp Hosp-Tax
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: Rotating Shift