Trinity Health Laboratory Services Assistant in Pontiac, Michigan
I Accountability Objectives:
Responsible for carrying out the daily activities of the Laboratory Office, including effective telephone communications, reception of laboratory specimens, patient registration into the hospital information system and test ordering. Also, responsible for courier duties for the procurement of patient samples and delivery of patient results and laboratory supplies to designated off-site locations. When assigned to phlebotomy duties, is responsible for specimen collection and/or processing in a variety of environments.
II Position Qualifications:
Minimum Education, Licensure / Certification and Experience Required.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of medical assistance / phlebotomy program or the completion of a minimum two year college degree in biological science or health related field, or one year documented/verified laboratory experience.
B. Licensure / Certification
- Valid State of Michigan Driver's License required.
- Current Heart Saver (HS) certification.
C Special Skill / Aptitudes
- Knowledge of medical terminology and medical laboratory orders required.
- Must successfully pass SJMO Medical Terminology Test with 85% score.
- Familiarity with PC applications preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to type corrected 35 wpm.
- Telephone skills essential, clear enunciation as well as a pleasant, helpful telephone voice is required in order to provide necessary service to patients/clients and communicate messages accurately to a variety of personnel.
- Excellent customer service orientation skills necessary in order to deal effectively with various levels of hospital personnel, outside customers and community groups.
- Phlebotomy experience preferred.
- One year working experience in medical laboratory preferred in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of laboratory operations.
III Duties / Responsibilities:
- May perform the following laboratory computer functions:
- Admission and discharge of all patients in the system.
- Generation and distribution of patient and lab management reports.
- Answering requests for results through the Laboratory Information System.
- Logging-in the specimens into computer “received in Lab”.
- Entry of lab test requests into the computer, generation of specimen labels.
- Distribution of specimens to appropriate laboratory area in a timely manner and with established prioritization procedures.
- Verify report completeness of all reports as necessary.
- Verify accuracy of order entry of all requests.
- Performs miscellaneous computer duties as assigned
- Generates hard copy reports as requested by private referral clients and non-hospital based satellite laboratories.
- Registers patients into hospital information system.
- Prepares test requisition forms and specimens for clients/patients as requested.
- Follows up on all service requests, i.e. technical questions, etc., with appropriate personnel or reference guides.
- Prepares supplies, reports, and test requisition forms for clients/patients as requested.
- Transport of patient samples, hard copy results, and supplies for off-site SJMO clients using pool vehicle.
- Completes daily job stream assignments and follows Job Instruction Sheets.
- As needed, instructs office personnel in technical and clerical functions with regard to specimen collection and processing.
- Attends or participates in on-going training programs (seminars, in-service, audio, video presentation, etc.) for continuous improvement.
- As needed, collects blood samples using appropriate phlebotomy standards.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the competencies/essential functions satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being assigned to this job. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of individuals in the job.
- Demonstrates and actively promotes an understanding and commitment to the mission of St. Joseph Mercy Oakland through performing behaviors consistent with the Trinity Health Values.
- Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and Local laws and regulations, the Trinity Health Organizational Integrity Program, including the Standards of Conduct, Code of Ethics, as well as other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behaviors.
- Supports and conducts one's self in a manner consistent with customer service expectations.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, determines that appropriate charges have been entered for the correct patient, encounter, date/time of service, with any required modifiers. Make corrections as needed per charge capture policy/practice.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, actively participates in on-going education and communication regarding revenue management.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, assists with tracking and monitoring of equipment assigned to the unit. Requests services for maintaining equipment as needed.
- In accordance with unit or departmental practice, proficient with the electronic health records for documentation, assessment, and care management, performing these activities concurrently with provision of care throughout the shift.
Job Number: 00099940
Location: Pontiac, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - On Camp Hosp-Tax
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: Evening Shift