Washington State System & Infrastructure Administrator (System Administration Journey) in Olympia, Washington
*This posting is open until filled. The Hiring Manager reserves the right to make a hiring decision at any time. It is in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. *
Who we are:
The Department of Enterprise Services (DES) is a central service organization, providing support and services for state agencies, cities and municipalities, higher education, vendors, and the citizens of the state of Washington. At DES, we passionately pursue our vision of:
- Satisfied customers,
- Satisfied team members, and
- Financial health.
We listen to customers and team members to understand what they need and expect. We promote creativity, learning, and improvement to meet those needs and adapt to the ever-changing business environment. We measure our results and seek feedback to improve our performance. We value respect, integrity, excellence, diversity and inclusion, and seek new team members that share those values.
Enterprise Technology Solutions (ETS) is responsible for supporting the internal and enterprise applications that facilitate the success of DES's lines of business. The Systems Infrastructure & Support Unit within ETS provides IT and security consultative services, IT requirements for projects, customer and vendor facilitation, communication and training, documentation, and problem solving services for all programs within the agency. This unit is responsible for providing network infrastructure services and support for all agency staff, higher education institutions, state agencies and vendors, to include current applications, the design and implementation of new custom build solutions, and transition to cloud services.
Who we are looking for: As a journey level System Administrator (System & Infrastructure Administrator) you will support enterprise applications for a diverse customer base. The focus of this position centers around producing timely, high quality results in a fast-paced, environment, so you will possess good customer service and technical skills and can deal with high-risk technical problems that may significantly impact the business functions of our customers. You are someone who can see the bigger picture of our applications and understands the importance of uninterrupted system functionality.* *
Allow us to explain why you, a skilled professional, would want this unique job: If you enjoy working in a fast-paced environment with a high performing team, and love the idea of being a mentor, constantly challenging yourself, and want to work in a place that truly values you and your ideas to improve processes and allow us to exceed our customer expectations, this job may be for you. While you will work independently to resolve issues, you are part of a collaborative team that you will get to learn from as well as teach and share information with.
*If you have an analytical and inquiring mind, strong problem-solving skills, advanced technical skills and enjoy working in an environment that is challenging, diverse and fast-paced, we encourage you to apply! *
As a journey level System Administrator (System & Infrastructure Administrator) you will support enterprise applications used by state agencies, municipalities, and higher education and public sector customers. You will provide leadership, guidance, and direction on complex technical issues for agency client applications and systems. You will provide consultation, analysis, design, configuration, quality assurance as well as testing and implementing new/updated features. As business needs evolve, you will manage the process of innovative change, identify opportunities for improvement, and evaluate new IT trends and products.
*Some of what you will enjoy doing: *
- Configure, install and maintain tools and software utilized by DES IT staff
- Resolve complex hardware/software inefficiencies
- Work independently to analyze, optimize and resolve domain issues, application performance, and network connectivity problems
- Implement and configure system automation tools
- Manage, implement and install custom desktop builds and applications
- Plan critical upgrades and maintenance for servers, workstations and applications
- Create standard procedures
- Collaborate with stakeholders to refine existing procedures
- Provide advanced level technical consultation for hardware/software in collaboration with IT teams for agency business programs and external customers
- Configure LAN switches for DES supported buildings and remote offices, and create and maintain technical documentation for all LAN connections
- Develop automated processes to deploy application and/or operating system updates
- Use PowerShell scripts to automate client and server tasks
- Monitor security measures for the protection of agency computer and server systems and information and ensure appropriate security controls are in place that will safeguard digital files and vital IT infrastructure
- Respond to critical outages after hours in support of high impact systems and agency virtual farm and data platforms Qualifications
- Six (6) years of information technology experience that includes installing and maintaining workstation imaging and automation of hardware/software, performing root cause analysis on multiple network platforms and utilizing Powershell and Windows, AND
- Two (2) years experience in configuring and installing highly available client applications, virtual workstations and configuring LAN hardware
- An Associate's degree OR equivalent two years of vocational training in a technical field, AND
- Six (6) Years demonstrated experience in implementing and configuring workstation application deployment packages, images, monitoring.ogging tools with a focus on automation, and experience using Powershell
- A Bachelor's degree in computer science, Information Systems or related technical/business discipline, AND
- Four (4) years installing and maintaining workstation imaging and automation of hardware/software, performing root cause analysis on multiple network platforms, Scripting knowledge (Powershell), experience in working on Active Directory Group policy, and securing network and infrastructure
The most successful candidates will also possess the following:
- Ability to accurately consult, analyze, diagnose and solve complex problems with multiple possible causes.
- Ability to clearly communicate both verbally and written, technical problems, solutions and utilize plain talk to deliver information to non-technical staff and management.
- Ability to use active listening skills to truly understand the customer's problem or request, using curious questions to ensure a complete understanding of the issue. Supplemental Information
Please provide the following documents; failure to do so may result in not being considered for this position:
- A letter of interest to describe why you are the best candidate and how you meet the specific qualifications for this position;
- Current resume, detailing experience, and education; and
- A current list of at least three (3) professional references with current contact information (attached or available to provide at the time of interview)
By submitting these materials, you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
*NOTE: * Prior to any new appointment into the Department of Enterprise Services, a *background check *including criminal record history will be conducted. Information from the background check will not necessarily preclude employment, but will be considered in determining the applicant's suitability and competence to perform in the position.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wish to claim Veteran's Preference MUSTattach a copy of their DD214, or other verification of military service. Please blackout any personally identifiable data such as social security numbers._ _For additional information on Veteran's Preference and guidance on how to determine if you are eligible, click here.
Military Spouse Preference Notice: To take advantage of military spouse preference, you will have an opportunity to identify your status in the questionnaire.
We thank you and are grateful for your service!
The Department of Enterprise Services celebrates our differences and we are committed to a workplace that supports equal opportunity employment and inclusion regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Persons with a disability, who need assistance with their application or need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our organization.
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Jennifer McWaid at (360) 407-8210 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Salary: $6,274.00 - $8,232.00 Monthly
Location: Thurston County – Olympia, WA
Job Type: Full Time - Permanent
Department: Dept. of Enterprise Services
Job Number: 2019-ETS-006
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504
Phone: View Posting for Agency Contact