SAIC Research Scientist Sr. in OFFUTT AFB, Nebraska
Goddard Space Flight Center’s (GSFC) Hydrospheric, Biospheric, and Geophysics (HBG) research supports NASA and the nation with a world class workforce that conceives, develops and applies space-based technologies and observations to address issues of importance to society, including water resources, ecosystem health, and the effects of climate change on life on Earth. Particular research areas include studies of the Earth’s Cryosphere, Ocean and Land Ecosystems, Land Surface Hydrology, and Geodesy and Geophysics.
SAIC has been supporting the HBG for over 20 years. SAIC seeks to hire a research scientist to join the Hydrological Sciences Laboratory’s (HSL) Land Information System (LIS: https://lis.gsfc.nasa.gov at https://lis.gsfc.nasa.gov/ ) Team to improve our understanding of how the various components of the hydrological cycle interact, and provide us with important information about the current structure of global hydrology and how mankind is changing the hydrological environment.
The NASA/GSFC-developed LIS is the 557th Weather Wing's (557 WW) operational, global Land Data Assimilation System (LDAS) combining real time precipitationobservations and analyses, global forecast model data, vegetation, terrain, and soilparameters with the community Noah soil hydrology module, along with otherhydrology module options, to generate profile analyses of global soil moisture, soiltemperature, and other important land surface characteristics. 557 WW activelycollaborates with NASA Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Hydrological Sciences Laboratory (HSL) personnel to update the scientific and software capabilitiesof the LIS.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary responsibility: Serve as a primary focal point and provide expert scientific advice in support of tailored implementations of LIS-based hydrological hindcasts, analyses, and predictions (intra-/inter- seasonal, and annual) for the DoD and Intelligence Community (IC).
Additional anticipated duties include, but may not be limited to:
o Provide partner training and mentoring in the application of LIS, to enable numerical weather prediction and high-impact analysis and forecasting of land state information;
o Aid in the design, testing, and implementation of the LIS software framework for a suite of 557 WW numerical weather prediction (NWP) systems, including, but not limited to, Global Air-Land Weather Exploitation Model (GALWEM; i.e., USAF 557 WW’s variant of the UK Met Office’s Unified Model [UM]), and Joint UK Land Environment Simulator (JULES);
o Assist with the development, testing, and integration of LIS subsystem deliverables (i.e., LDT, LIS, and LVT) on 557 WW architecture(s) in preparation for transition-to-Ops;
o Support installation and testing of the LIS- Noah, Noah-MP, and/or JULES capabilities at the 557 WW production center and coordinate dependencies in a scheduled manner that maps to the GALWEM schedule;
o Assist in the development and transition of data assimilation capabilities;
o Serve as a member of the NASA/GSFC LIS Core Team and contribute to strategic planning;
o Keep abreast with international developments and the latest technologies beingdeveloped by the land surface modeling community at-large by participatingand traveling to annual meetings and conferences (e.g., UM Users Group, annual AMS and AGU Meetings, etc.);
o Prepare relevant scientific reports, studies and documents to include LIS-related published works;
o Carry out other relevant duties as required.
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelors and five (5) years or moreexperience; Masters and three (3) years or more experience; PhD and 0 yearsrelated experience.
• Minimum: Masters degree in Environmental Science (e.g., Climatology, Hydrology, Meteorology, etc.)
• Preferred: Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in in Environmental Science (e.g., Climatology, Hydrology, Meteorology, etc.).
• Experience with NASA/GSFC’s developed Land Information System (LIS).
• Supporting collaborations with research (e.g., National Center for Atmospheric Research) and/or operational centers (e.g., UK Met Office, USAF 557 th Weather Wing, NOAA/National Centers for Environmental Prediction, etc.).
• Strong verbal and written communications skills.
• The candidate should have experience in high performance computing platforms and environments.
• The candidate should possess experience working in Linux-based multiprocessor environments; and coding, optimizing, and debugging MPI programs is desirable.
• Knowledge of modern revision control systems such as Subversion and Git is required.
• A good knowledge of earth science data formats is expected, and experience in working with satellite datasets is a considered plus.
• The candidate should also be knowledgeable in visualization/analysis packages and software such as GrADS, NCL, IDL, Matlab, and/or GIS. Proficiency in writing Fortran 90, C, and Python is also considered a plus.
• Experience in organizing meetings, project coordination, and writing and reviewing technical reports is also expected.
• Facilitating knowledge and technology transfer.
SAIC is a premier technology integrator, solving our nation’s most complex modernization and systems engineering challenges across the defense, space, federal civilian, and intelligence markets. Our robust portfolio of offerings includes high-end solutions in systems engineering and integration; enterprise IT, including cloud services; cyber; software; advanced analytics and simulation; and training. We are a team of 23,000 strong driven by mission, united purpose, and inspired by opportunity. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $6.5 billion. For more information, visit saic.com. For information on the benefits SAIC offers, see Working at SAIC. EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
- SAIC Jobs