Trinity Health Professional Inpatient Medical Coder in Muskegon, Michigan
Responsible for coding, from electronic and paper, charges to ensure appropriate capture of all professional services provided, including but not limited to: verifying and/or analyzing medical record documentation to determine the principle and all secondary diagnoses and procedures; and assigning diagnostic and procedural codes using coding guidelines established by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Responsible for assigning diagnosis codes to the highest level of specificity and understanding and appending modifiers appropriately. Assists in the orientation and training of new employees within the coding and charge capture area. Performs audits, analysis and education as needed.
JOB SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Reads and understands operative reports and other medical records; able to assign codes from review of these records.
- Serves as an "expert" coding resource for all providers. Assists with coding and error resolutions.
- Performs charge capture and charge entry for services provided when needed.
- Assigns ICD-9/CPT codes.
- Questions providers regarding any complex or unusual cases.
- Assigns diagnosis codes to the highest level of specificity.
- Understands and appends modifiers appropriately.
- Participates in continuing education and other learning experiences. Maintains CPC credential.
- Minimum: Associates Degree in allied health related field, including classes in medical terminology, anatomy and physiology; or two years of increasingly responsible medical records experience with exposure to medical terminology, anatomy, physiology and coding.
- Minimum: CPC or equivalent certification
- Minimum: One – three (1-3) years of professional coding experience with multiple surgical specialities
- Preferred: Prior experience in coding for neurosurgery, gastroenterology, OB-GYN, pulmonary, thoracic surgery and/or gynecologic oncology procedures
40 hours per week, full time, days, benefit eligible, no weekends (unless for special projects)
Located in the Muskegon Central Billing Office near the Mercy Campus
Job Number: 00166319
Location: Muskegon, MI
Organization Name: Mercy Health
Facility: MHWMI - MHP Steindler Building
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Day Shift