Trinity Health Float Pool ASL Interpreter in Maywood, Illinois
Screens multiple requests for interpreters and prioritizes requests based on urgency of need. Accurately interprets and transliterates from English into American Sign Language (ASL) medical, mental health and general information for staff, patient care support, patients and families. Assists physicians, nurses and social workers in the assessment of situations as related to the culture of the patient. Maintains compliance with all hospital policies and procedures, particularly patient confidentiality and informed consent, in compliance with the NAD-RID Code of Professional Conduct and the NCIHC Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics.
- Assists the healthcare team in problem solving and complaint resolution related to the limited English proficient population.
- Initiates and develops positive relationships with patients, visitors, health care providers, fellow interpreters and staff, exhibiting respect, flexibility and cooperation at all times.
- Serves as cultural mediator, as necessary and when appropriate, to enhance communication between American culture staff and native culture patients/families, as it relates to medical care.
- Supports and participates in the continuous assessment and improvement of the interpretation services program.
- Assists with other departmental functions as assigned.
- Actively participates in staff meetings and mandatory in-services.
- Maintains documentation of all interpretation encounters, to include relevant data such as location, duration, and purpose. Documents all interpreting encounters accurately and completely, including patient refusals of interpreting services.
- Maintains accurate records of productivity, work volumes, and interpreting requests.
- Participates in ongoing professional development to maintain practice in accordance with professional medical interpreting standards.
Education: High School Diploma plus training acquired through work experience or education.
Preferred Education: Associate Degree.
Experience: Minimum of two (2) years of professional interpreter experience in a medical setting.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Ability to interpret effectively, accurately, and impartially, both receptive and expressive, using
medical terminology as appropriate.
- Ability to speak, read, and write proficiently in both English and the target language.
- Ability to work with in an interdisciplinary, team environment.
- Flexibility in response to changes in service provision demands.
- Ability to maintain professional demeanor in all situations.
- Knowledgeable about the issues of cultural competency and healthcare disparities. Adaptable and sensitive in cross-cultural situations.
- Excellent communication, organizational and customer service skills.
LICENSES & CERTIFICATIONS: NAD-RID Certificate of Interpretation and Transliteration, or, NAD-RID National Interpreter Certification.
Job Number: 00114841
Location: Maywood, IL
Organization Name: Loyola University Medical Center
Facility: LUHS-Loyola University Medical Center
Employment Type: Part time