Brilliant Corners Property Manager in Los Angeles, California
Organization Overview Founded in 2004, Brilliant Corners provides innovative housing and housing-related services to those transitioning from or at risk of homelessness or institutionalization. We develop, own, and manage multi-family supportive housing and licensed residential care homes. Additionally, we implement a broad array of scattered-site, one-on-one supportive housing, and clinical case management programs through partnerships with developmental services, homeless services, veteran services, and health care sectors.
In short, we do good work.
We have offices statewide with a staff of passionate people. While we are growing rapidly, we are also selective: We’re seeking inspired, talented people who want to be effecting profound change and who have fun doing it.
The Supportive Housing Management department manages Brilliant Corners’ portfolio of owned real estate which provides housing and services to various vulnerable populations.
Position Summary The Property Manager is responsible for the overall operation, and the day-to-day implementation of property management policies and procedures to ensure well-managed and maintained homes of our Los Angles & Orange counties, portfolio of scattered-site properties owned and operated as licensed residential care facilities. This portfolio provides community-based supportive housing to San Gabriel and Orange County Regional Centers consumers. The Property Manager ensures compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies and federal, state, and local laws; maintains acceptable and supportive environment for all residents and service providers; manages maintenance staff and their duties, interacts with and supervises vendors.
Leadership and Personnel Management
• Oversees maintenance program, directly supervising maintenance employees and contractors, conducting property inspections and monitoring work orders. • Develops and maintains good staff working relationships, cultivating the spirit of teamwork, and exemplary customer service. • Assures all direct reports receive updated training regularly to ensure proficiency; coordinating all necessary training for staff, including his/her own. • Represents the organization to public agencies and the community. • Provides advisement/direction on all property and resident issues. • Recommends promotions, salary adjustments and disciplinary actions.
Physical Condition and Maintenance of Properties
• Establishes a schedule for personnel to be available for emergency maintenance (24 hours a day, 7 days a week) • Ensures that emergencies are responded to promptly and assigns staff, including self, to be available in this event; provides direct assistance and direction during after-hours emergencies. • Ensures completion of preventative maintenance checklists by day, week, month or year for maintenance personnel to perform, ensures the completion of tasks on the checklists, and ensures that all work is completed in a timely manner. • Performs continual informal inspections of the properties to ensure that they are being properly maintained, that mechanical devices are in working order, and that the environments are safe and attractive. • Reviews completed and outstanding work orders. Ensures the work orders are completed in a timely manner, consistent with Brilliant Corners’ policies and procedures. • Prepares list of capital replacements required or anticipated, when applicable, and submits to Regional Property Manager in advance of budget preparation. • Bids out and selects contract services, negotiates vendor service agreements and monitors day-to-day vendor performance to assure full compliance with standards established within the service agreement. • Ensures adherence of the properties to all applicable municipal and fire codes. • Ensures the update and completion of the Material Safety Data Sheets as well as other safety related inspections and reports.
Service Provider (Tenant) Services
• Oversee the work order process. • Ensures the department has a high standard of property management quality standards. • Ensures every service provider has a great move-in experience and has a great experience throughout the life of their tenancy. • Provide excellent customer service to our community-based service provider partners. • Represent Brilliant Corners in community meetings related to properties in the portfolio. • Develop a high level of property management services performance standards to ensure that there is a difference between property management focused on assets/profits vs person-centered property management focused on customer service and tenant retention, which is the Brilliant Corners Way. • Encourage staff to look for opportunities to improve the lives of tenants and clients residing in our portfolio. • Lead by example. Demonstrate the level of client-centered tenant services that Brilliant Corners expects from all program staff.
Financial Reporting and Control
• Ensures the successful day-to-day financial management of the portfolio and maintains all necessary financial records in good order. • Supervises collection of rents and other monies and ensures that all transactions are processed and inputted accurately. • Reviews all delinquent accounts and receivables and determines necessary course of action to collect outstanding balances in consultation with the Regional Property Manager. • On a monthly basis, compares lease information with monthly rent roll to ensure that the property rents, move-in dates, etc. are accurate. • Reviews all properties’ monthly income and expense statement and reports any areas considered a problem to Regional Property Manager. • Maintains compliance within the budget during the fiscal year in order to ensure fiscal integrity. • Completes and submits to the Regional Property Manager within 24 hours any incident that occurs on the property out of the ordinary or which could become an insurance claim or lawsuit. • Adheres to all accounting and reporting procedures required by Brilliant Corners. • Drafts annual operating budget for the Regional Property Manager’s review. • Reviews and approves all capital expenditures, service contracts, and contracted repairs below $2,500. • Supervises processing of purchase orders and submission of invoices for payment. • Manages proper use of reserve for replacement funds, including obtaining approval from the regional center and ensuring funds are transferred to the operating account.
• Reviews and abides by all terms of the Management Agreements. • Collaborates with other departments to monitor compliance with regional centers, state licensing, and other funder rules and regulations. • Complies with and ensures compliance with all fair housing laws and state tenant/landlord laws. • Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local laws pertaining to building, fire, and safety codes; ADA; all physical requirements, including but not limited to, pool rules, fencing, lighting, etc.
Good customer service matters to you. You take pride in your customer service and believe that it’s a reflection on you, your work and the organization you represent.
You sweat the small stuff. You’ve always been a “details” person. You live in the forest but focus on the trees. Having a consistent look and feel, and the finishing touches, matter. To you, getting the details right is essential to a good outcome.
You’re obsessed with organization. You’re known as someone who gets things done quickly and calmly. You can handle many responsibilities at once and you instinctively discern between what’s important and what’s urgent. Things don’t fall through the cracks.
You’re a hungry learner. You enjoy constantly taking in new information and solving problems. You are committed to continuous learning about the world and the work around you.
You thrive in an entrepreneurial environment. You’re resourceful and at ease with ambiguity and rapid change. You possess a positive, can-do attitude, and are adept at identifying creative solutions that turn challenges into opportunities. You can handle many important responsibilities at once and you’re rigorous about prioritization. You enjoy working collaboratively but are also able to get things done on our own.
• Minimum of 1 year of property management experience • Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) • Experience in affordable and/or supportive housing strongly preferred • Experience working with people with disabilities preferred • Knowledge of construction, repair, and/or renovation experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
• Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills • Capacity to handle multiple projects and complex tasks in a fast-paced setting • Strong time management skills and attention to critical deadlines • Ability to adjust priorities under deadline pressure • Fluency with standard office technology, including databases and e-filing systems, and the capacity to quickly master new technology • Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Outlook • Experience with Yardi property management software desired but not required • Effective communication skills, especially across teams, departments and organizations • Strong interpersonal skills, including customer service • Experience directing staff • Some understanding of housing development • Careful attention to detail • Assertiveness, persistence, and follow-through
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
A valid, clean CA driver’s license and a personal insured vehicle are required.
Position Details Office Location: Los Angeles Start date: Immediately Compensation: $55,000 - $61,000 annually Status: Exempt, full-time Benefits: Health, dental, vision, retirement match, long-term disability, life insurance, flex spending, commuter plan, sick leave and vacation pay Reports to: Regional Property Manager Travel required: Approximately 25% out in the field visits to properties and attendance at events in Greater Los Angeles & Orange counties (and occasionally Kern county). Occasional attendance at events outside the Los Angeles Area, including Brilliant Corners’ events in Northern California, may also be required.
Brilliant Corners does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. These activities include, but are not limited to, hiring and firing of staff, selection of volunteers and vendors, and provision of services. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
Brilliant Corners is committed to fair hiring practices and does not ask applicants to disclose conviction history before extending a conditional job offer.
Disclaimer: Brilliant Corners does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms / employment agencies / third-party recruiters for any of its employment opportunities. Please, no phone calls or emails to any employee of Brilliant Corners about this opening. All resumes submitted by search firms / employment agencies / third-party recruiters to any employee at Brilliant Corners via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search firm agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Brilliant Corners; no fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by Brilliant Corners as a result of the unsolicited referral or through other means.