BT Senior Manager, Competition Finance Communications in London, United Kingdom
Senior Manager, Competition Finance
Our purpose is to use the power of communications to make a better world. For each other, for our customers, for society and our communities. We need you to help us do this.
Why this role matters
The key purpose of the role is to lead the team that communicates financial information to Ofcom in connection with its statutory and informal investigations in relation to BT’s costs. Such communications could be in relation to a market review, price cap setting process, a pricing dispute with a competitor or in respect to enquires on regulatory reporting.
What you'll be doing
The post holder will be responsible for supporting the Cusomter Facing Units, principally Openreach, in communications of financial data to Ofcom and in providing financial analysis and insight. This involves a number of stakeholders – finance teams, Regulatory Affairs, Legal, Pricing and Portfolio Managers, Ofcom, KPMG and various consultants as and when required.
• Lead the team (five FTE) that provides investigation and analysis to answer Ofcom information requests
• Develop relationships with other BT lines of business (in particular with Openreach) and experts to aid understanding of requests
• Ensuring effective controls are in place over information supplied and internal approvals are obtained as required (generally at Director and Chief Counsel level)
• Develop understanding of reasons behind Ofcom information request and highlight potential risks to BT
• Interpret and explain to finance and non-finance community how Ofcom information requests may feed into Ofcom market reviews (price cap models) or dispute investigations
• Lead face-to-face meetings with the regulator’s finance experts to communicate findings, advocate BT’s position and obtain feedback
Market Reviews, Charge Controls & Ad Hoc Projects
• Be up to date with Ofcom market reviews and investigations and how they will impact on information requests / how the information will be used
• Ensue that appropriate financial support and analysis is made available for BT’s submission to Ofcom’s formal consultations and where necessary for material prepared for court hearings
Client and Stakeholder Management
• Responsibility for building and maintaining strong senior manager level relationships both internally and with Ofcom
• Educates, supports and challenges senior managers /senior stakeholders communities to ensure that the regulatory and commercial implications of the information submissions are fully understood, in order to appropriately inform the decision-making within the business
• Directly influences senior management thinking and is an agent of change
• Ensures that robust processes are in place for the provision of financial information to Ofcom from other units within BT, that ensure such information is provided to the required time and quality and that accountability and governance is in place.
Authority Decision-Making and level of Independent Working
• Personally accountable for application (leading design & implementation) of appropriate processes
• Works with high level of authority, guidance sought only in high risk circumstances and resolves complex issues unguided and across LoB boundaries
• Advisor and coach to more junior roles and advises on specialist area
Complexity of Operating Environment
• Typically operating within a more complex and dynamic, unpredictable environment with non-routine business partnering activities to a lines of business regulatory and finance teams
• Interfaces and collaborates with Ofcom’s financial experts.
• Develops plans for projects over short/medium term
• Medium term Business strategy and objectives typically guide this role, although will be involved in formulation and development and deployment of future operations and initiatives
We'll also need to see these on your CV
• Excellent communication skills
• Attention to detail and also willingness to invest time in understanding the detail
• Very good Microsoft Office skills
• Spreadsheet & database financial modelling skills
• Understanding of the regulatory environment
• Typically degree level or equivalent
• Fully qualified accountant (.e.g. ACA, CIMA, ACCA)
• Significant PQE
• Significant BT and/or external experience in Big 4 / industry
Why choose us?
Corporate Functions help deliver our strategy and plans for growth. We shape and steer the direction of the business by managing our people, finances, shared services and buildings. We also oversee our legal, regulatory and compliance obligations too.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re creating an inclusive working culture where people from all backgrounds can succeed. That’s why we welcome applications from all parts of the community.
Title: Senior Manager, Competition Finance Communications
Location: GBR %26 Ireland-GBR-London-London
Requisition ID: 110563