Trinity Health Sterile Processing Technician - St. Mary Mercy Livonia Outpatient Surgery Center in Livonia, Michigan
- The Sterile Instrument Technician provides care to patients undergoing procedural intervention in compliance with policies and procedures of Surgical Services, AORN, JCAHO, OSHA, and AMI standard.
- Must have a working knowledge of decontamination, instrumentation, sterilization, and the building of case carts.
- Responsible for the processing of any sterilized product across the hospital.
- Provides technical assistance with all procedures throughout various departments of the hospital under the supervision of the Sterile Processing staff leader.
- _Decontamination: _ Receives soiled case carts and soiled instruments into the decontamination area; Scans all instruments into the impress system. Prioritizes instruments needed for turnaround (i.e., instruments on the needs list. Hand washes or pre-soaks in enzyme solution. Pre-cleans all lumened instruments in ultrasonic cleaner. Has working knowledge of washer functionalities. Selects rack and cycle for type of instruments to be cleaned. Washes case carts in cart-washer. Changes solutions for instrument and cart washer when indicated. Makes sure magnets on instruments rack are correctly aligned in washer. Refills solution containers daily, ensuring proper solutions are used.
- Core: Acts as a liaison between OR suites and SPD to communicate the changes and needs for subsequent cases. Performs daily tests and biologicals on sterilizer and Steris and maintains records of flash sterilization. Provides routine maintenance on Steris and eye sterilizer. Assemble and Steris scopes as needed. Transports sterile items to the OR suites. Checks case carts for needed items. Returns unused items to sterile processing. Orders supplies for the core area.
- Instruments: Maintains effective communication with OR, Management, Physicians, peers and interdisciplinary team to provide the appropriate instrumentation to start and maintain the surgery. Assists in proper technique in handling instruments. Check and update needs list regularly. Assembles instruments in order of importance.
- Sterilization: Has working knowledge of all sterilization techniques in SPD and OR. Is able to trouble shoot sterilization problems within SPD and OR. Initiates daily sterilization routine.
- Case Carts: Demonstrates a working knowledge of Surgi Server as it relates to pulling pick lists. Is able to assemble case trays for every service and procedure performed within St. Mary Mercy Hospital. Maintains accurate preference cards-adjustments are to be made the same day as change is made. Builds case carts accurately and indicates missing items on the pick sheet. Prepares case carts by Physician/Surgeon preference card. Prepares needs list for sterile instruments and supplies for the next days cases. Replaces emergency carts ASAP
- *_Other Duties:_ *Distributes crash carts when distribution services are closed. Decontaminate PLUMs, PCA and epidural pumps. Picks up and returns sterile items to all the inpatient units including, Cardiac Cath Lab, Emergency Center, Endoscopy, Radiology, West Side GYN and the Maternity Center. Decontaminate all specialty carts including crash carts for all units and services of the hospital. Picks up, decontaminates, restocks and delivers pediatric intubation carts for Emergency Center. Demonstrate a positive, friendly, respectful demeanor to everyone who comes in contact with the Sterile Processing Department. Employee may be asked to work at the main location as well as the OSC. When possible, the Sterile Processing Technician will help the endoscopy technicians in the Decontamination Room.
- High school education or equivalent.
- Certification as a Sterile Processing Technician preferred.
- 2 years previous Central Processing or Operating Room experience preferred.
Job Number: 00174779
Location: Livonia, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - St. Mary Hosp Livonia
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Day Shift