Trinity Health RN Data Abstractor-Michigan Bariatric Institute - Contingent - St. Mary Mercy Hospital in Livonia, Michigan
JOB SUMMARY: This position requires a RN license. Medical chart data abstraction of 30 day clinical outcomes for all bariatric cases performed at Michigan Bariatric Institute. May have other responsibilities as part of the MBI Team.
- The facility and its medical staff provide the structure, process, and personnel to obtain and maintain the quality standards of the MBSAQIP in caring for metabolic and bariatric surgical patients.
- The MBSCR’s key responsibility is to collect and submit accurate, complete, and timely data to the MBSAQIP Data Registry Platform. This task is accomplished through high-quality data compilation, documentation, and entry of 100 percent of metabolic and bariatric procedures performed at the Center into the MBSAQIP Data Registry Platform.
- The MBSCR works closely with the members of the metabolic and bariatric and general surgery departments to identify opportunities for clinical quality improvement and other special projects that may be identified. There are several components to consider when selecting a candidate for the role of MBSCR:
Clinical Knowledge: Data collection and identification of areas for quality improvement requires clinical knowledge and understanding of patient care.
- Computer Knowledge: The ability to learn and utilize new software and Web applications for data entry and report generation. The candidate should have some computer experience with Microsoft Office and basic statistical skills.
- Hospital Systems Knowledge: The ability to track health information through various sources such as medical records, surgery clinics, death index, direct patient contact, accounts payable, and legal counsel. The candidate should have some experience gathering information in a complex hospital system environment.
- Hospital Departmental Knowledge: The ability to identify opportunities to report metabolic and bariatric data to relevant groups or meetings (for example, morbidity and mortality, infection control, quality management, and administration). The candidate should have some experience sharing information across functions.
- Data Collection and Reporting: Identifies 100 percent of metabolic and bariatric surgery patients for inclusion in the MBSAQIP data registry. Collects preoperative, intraoperative, 30-day postoperative, and long-term (six month and annual thereafter) follow-up data components for the program through the effective utilization of the hospital medical record systems and through a coordinated effort with individual surgeon office staff. Identifies streamlining and process improvement opportunities in the data collection process. Demonstrates appropriate utilization of resources necessary to obtain valid, reliable data for entry into the program. Utilizes software applications for data collection and analysis.
- Education: Nursing Degree from accredited school.
- Licensure: Licensed Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan
- Training and Experience: At least 3 years experience in nursing, 1 year experience in either data abstraction, quality improvement or utilization review.
- EMR experience preferred.
Job Number: 00062754
Location: Livonia, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - St. Mary Hosp Livonia
Employment Type: Part time