Trinity Health Patient Care Tech- Full Time- St. Mary Mercy Livonia in Livonia, Michigan
An Opportunity to Join our Remarkable Care as a Patient Care Tech in the 3 SouthDepartment awaits YOU!!!!
**St. Joseph Mercy Health System (SJMHS) is one of the nation's top healthcare service providers, spanning five counties in Southeastern Michigan. SJMHS represents more than 2,700 physicians and 14,000 nurses and staff, and includes 5 Hospitals, 5 Outpatient Health Centers, 8 Urgent Care Facilities and over 25 Specialty Centers.
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System is part of Trinity Health, one of the largest multi-institutional Catholic health care delivery systems in the nation, serving communities in 21 states with 86 hospitals, 128 continuing care facilities and home health and hospice programs.
**St. Mary Mercy Hospital is a beautiful full-service, 304-bed acute care hospital, located in Livonia, MI, that provides comprehensive care, including a 24-hour emergency department, general medicine, inpatient and outpatient surgery, physical medicine and rehabilitation, intensive care unit, cancer, cardiology, geriatrics and birthing and women's health. Through several major expansions in the hospital, programs and services, St. Mary Mercy continues to offer the latest in quality health and medical services. St. Mary Mercy has received numerous awards recognizing excellence in clinical outcomes, patient safety, financial performance and efficiency.
Under the direction of a registered nurse, the patient care technician is responsible for direct patient care considering age specific, developmental, cultural and spiritual needs. Demonstrates unit/area-designated competencies. Assists in establishing and maintaining a patient care environment that is clean, safe and conducive to patient/family well being including concepts of relationship based care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Demonstrates excellent communication with team members:
- Takes initiative in reporting patient needs, abnormal findings and condition changes to RN
- Actively participates in structured and informal handoffs
- Performs purposeful hourly rounding
- Promptly responds to patient requests
Performs nursing care as delegated by the RN in an effort to identify/attain treatment goals such as:
- Records/calculates intake and output, obtains weights
- Applies support/orthopedic devices such as support hose and compression devices
- Obtains routine vital signs, pain score and temperature
- Assists the patient with: coughing, deep breathing, use of incentive spirometer, oral suctioning
- Applies warm/cold therapies (heating pads, ice packs, cryocuff, hot ice machine and warm soaks)
- Provides care of the restrained patient including general care, application of the restraint and ongoing monitoring of the restrained patient
- Care and removal of Foley catheters
- Routine oxygen therapy, pulse oximetry
- Assist in preparing the body following death
Assists patient in completing ADLs including:
- Bathing, showering, toileting, positioning, turning, transferring & ambulation using assistive devices as needed and appropriate
- Assists with feeding and menu selection
- Distributes/collects nourishments and orders late trays
- Answers call lights
Demonstrates sterile or aseptic technique as appropriate when performing delegated activities such as:
- Collects and sends specimens including blood and blood cultures
- Obtains blood specimens from intermittent infusion devices, flushes intermittent infusion devices
- Inserts and removes peripheral IV catheters (not to include regulating drip rate of infusion)
- Competency based point of care testing such as blood glucose
Records patient information and required data in appropriate areas in order to meet documentation and charging requirements.
Assists in establishing and maintaining a patient care environment that is clean, safe, and conducive to patient/family well being
- Documents all patient belongings upon admission
- Prepare patient room for arrival/ assists in transfers and or discharge of patients
- Orients patient/family/visitors to patient room, unit, waiting area and facilities
- Assists patient/family in the use of hospital equipment (telephone, lights television)
- Makes occupied and unoccupied beds
- Collects and disposes of soiled linen
- Cleans and maintains equipment according to procedures
Provides wound and exit site care as delegated:
- Applies simple dressing to clean wounds of stage I or stage II depth (partial thickness) following assessment of the RN (does not include dressings that require topical ointments, gels, creams, packing or ace wraps)
- Secures complex dressings that have been changed by other caregivers.
- Performs PEG care and dressing changes
Completes delegated unit specific activities such as:
- Gathers post procedural data after initial nursing assessment such as vital signs, circumcision checks
- Places patients on monitors/telemetry and maintains lead placement
- Clean intermittent urinary catheterization
- Checks/restocks unit emergency equipment/supplies and nurse servers
- Trach care and trach suctioning
- Performs other unit specific duties as delegated
- Bottle feeds infants.
- Assist new breastfeeding mother’s with latching and positioning of infant, set-up of breast pump and initiation of pumping
- Completes and documents newborn hearing screen
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND LICENSURE
Education: High school diploma or GED
Experience: Minimum of one year of previous direct care experience (acute or long term) OR successful completion of CENA, PCT, MA, or EMT course OR Student nurses must have completed their nursing fundamentals class of a BSN program.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with patients, families, and other employees Ability to:
- Follow instructions and record patient information.
- Prioritize assigned tasks and organize work.
- Walk and stand for 90% of shift.
- Lift, turn, and position patients.
Concentrate and pay close attention to details for over 90% of time Able to work in area with potential exposure to infectious agents and/or contaminants. Basic computer skills such as use of e-mail and simple word processing Maintains AHA Heartsaver certification
**Why St. Joseph Mercy Health System?
*Competitive Salaries and Shift Differentials
*Rich Benefits package which include Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Time off, Retirement Saving Plan with employer contribution option, Tuition Reimbursement, Life Insurance and Short/Long Term Disability.
- Opportunity for growth and advancement throughout Trinity Health in 21 different states!!
Job Number: 00170249
Location: Livonia, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - St. Mary Hosp Livonia
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Rotating Shift