YMCA of Greater Houston Pre-School Teacher Assistant I-HCC in Houston, Texas
Assist with providing a safe, school ready learning environment for all children as well as a quality experience to children and parents that focuses on youth development, including the YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, faith and caring.
- Assists Teacher in providing a positive learning environment and experience for children, parents and staff.
- Implements early learning curriculum within the established guidelines to ensure all children are school ready.
- Supervises the children, classroom, and all activities.
- Assist Teacher with making ongoing, systematic observations and evaluations of each child.
- Maintains program site and equipment.
- Collects data for daily reports and maintains program records.
- Attends and participates in family nights, program activities, staff meetings, and staff training.
- Role model to both children and staff.
- Assists with classroom cleanliness, setup and presentation. Playground curb appeal toys cleaned up and stored, trash, etc.
- Responsible for the safety and risk management children.
- Makes sound decisions in alignment with YMCA and state standards.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- 6 months previous experience working with children in a developmental setting preferred.
- At least 18 years of age.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications are required within 30 days of hire date. Child Abuse Prevention training required prior working with children.
- Ability to plan, organize, and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
- Previous experience with diverse populations.
- Current record of tuberculosis examination and/or current local health department regulations, examinations, and/or immunization as require by the local or State Department of Health.
Ability to read, interpret, retain, and teach documents such as safety rules, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure/educational manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of children, parents, staff, members of the YMCA, and/or others, as well as in one-on-one situations.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Ability to apply common sense, understanding, and sound mature judgment to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form, including assisting with curriculum learning. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to maintain confidentiality. Ability to be sensitive and alert to the needs, feelings, and safety of others. Ability to ensure children’s safety and maintain YMCA and state standards and guidelines at all times.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, and/or feel objects, tools, and/or controls; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms and taste and smell. The employee must frequently move and/or lift up to 50 pounds and move up to 100 pounds such as furniture, supplies, equipment, children, etc. Possess adequate vision and hearing to safely monitor environment and children.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. Nonsmoking and drug and alcohol free work environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, occasionally loud. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and airborne particles, toxic, or caustic chemicals, extreme heat, and/or blood. The employee regularly is exposed to bodily excretions of children, depending on developmental level of children in the employee’s care.
Posting ID 87595705645
Job Category Child Care-Preschool/Child Watch/Early Childhood