VCA Client Service Representive in Greenfield, Wisconsin
Company Info: VCA Inc. owns, operates, and manages the largest network of freestanding veterinary hospitals and veterinary clinical reference laboratories in North America, with over 900 hospitals located in the U.S. states and Canada, and more than 55 clinical laboratories. VCA is also a leading supplier of diagnostic imaging equipment to the veterinary industry, as well as operating a franchisor of premier dog daycare facilities.
If you are a current employee, you need to apply through our internal career site. Please log into Workday and click on the Career worklet on the landing page or search for Find Jobs. You can also copy the link below into a browser to apply through our internal career site:
VCA Milwaukee Emergency Center for Animals (MECA) is a fast-paced, 24/7 emergency/critical care practice in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Meet and greet clients and their pets. Coordinate and represent all facets of client services. To serve as a good will ambassador for the hospital.
*Must be available to work 2nd shift (4pm-12am), weekends, and some holidays.*
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent client service skills.
• Excellent phone skills.
• Computer skills preferred.
• Must be friendly, outgoing, “people-oriented.”
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to work in a team oriented environment.
• Well groomed, organized and detail oriented is a must!.
• Ability to take direction.
• Ability to handle money accurately and honestly.
• Must possess sound decision making skills and multi-task while working in an
environment of stress.
Education and Experience:
• High School Diploma.
• Must have experience working with the public, i.e. restaurant, retail or service business.
• Experience in a veterinary hospital or other doctor’s office is a plus.
• Scheduling appointments.
• Effective determination and scheduling of emergencies.
• Authority to delay disputed charges until further reviewed by supervisor.
• Authority to resolve client service issues within established guidelines.
• Dependable attendance is required.
• Any allergies to animals must be controllable through medication.
• Must be able to lift 40 pounds.
• Must be willing to work long or irregular hours under pressure conditions.
• This position requires the ability to walk, bend, stand and reach constantly during a
minimum 8-hour day.
Receptionist Job Description
*Must be available to work 2nd shift (4pm-12am), weekends, and some holidays.*
• Visual acuity sufficient to maintain accurate records, recognizes people and understands
• Ability to speak and hear sufficiently to understand, give information in person and over
• Fine motor skills adequate for utilizing office equipment such as computers, telephones,
copiers, fax machines, etc.
The following is a list of essential job requirements. This list may be revised at any time and
additional duties not listed here may be assigned as needed. Job functions and Job
Answer Telephones and Make Appointments
Maintain Charts and Computer Records
Pharmacy and Retail Sales
• Agrees to practice the principles of the VCA Mission Statement, Three Steps of Service,
and VCA Standards of Client Service in the daily performance of job duties.
• Demonstrate excellent relations with clients/pets in waiting and/or exam rooms:
Ensure that clients and pets feel welcome and comfortable.
Serve as “Ambassadors” - creating and maintaining goodwill for the hospital.
Build rapport with clients.
Immediately greet clients and pets by name.
Quickly understand client needs and initiate the process of meeting those needs.
Help new clients completely fill out the registration form. Inform new clients about
services, etc. that your hospital offers.
- If there is a delay, i.e., the doctor is behind schedule, keep clients informed of
expected waiting time.
- Know enough about general animal husbandry and pet care to be able to educate
clients and to answer non-medical questions that the client may have or to inform
them of things their pet may need:
General dietary requirements and feeding schedules.
Routine laboratory tests (i.e. stool exams, heartworm tests, urinalysis, leukemia
- Heartworm preventatives.
• Generate, present and explain fee estimates for treatment/surgery to clients.
• Handles client complaints with concern and diplomacy.
• Accurately communicates medical/surgical information to clients.
• Send client cards and letters, i.e., thank you notes, sympathy cards, welcome cards, as
directed by management team.
• Prepare, distribute and explain client education materials.
Answer Telephones and Make Appointments:
• Exhibit a “come in now” attitude towards clients and patients.
• Answers telephone promptly.
• Encourage the client to make an appointment if the pet has any problem that is
concerning to either the client or you.
• Schedule appointments and other patient visits in appointment book, including re-check
appointments, surgeries, and drop offs.
• Reschedule any missed appointments.
• Understand and use excellent telephone etiquette.
• Call clients to confirm appointments, remind of missed appointments and laboratory
results as well as callbacks for procedures performed.
• Refuse to diagnose pet health care problems over the telephone.
Maintain Charts and Computer Records:
• Keep charts and computer records updated with current client and patient information,
i.e. address or telephone number and/or vaccine due dates, other reminders, age, etc.
• Prepare charts for new clients and/patients.
• Prepare charts for patients prior to appointment including all necessary forms,
authorizations, and instructions as necessary.
• Handwriting must be neat and legible.
• Open an order or start an invoice as each client enters the hospital. Recommend any
• Calculate client’s invoice and collect payment.
• File charts in appropriate areas as needed.
• Do routine computer reports and backups.
Pharmacy and Retail Sales:
• Understand the benefits of the retail products we offer and how they are used. Must be
able to promote them to our clients.
- Dietary products.
• Fill prescriptions and dispense medications as directed by a veterinarian.
• Explain prescription directions to clients.
• Understand, participate, promote and support planned VCA marketing events and
• Present marketing promotions to clients in a professional manner.
• Verify that the front desk, reception area, waiting areas, and exam rooms are neat and
clean at all time.
• Periodically check the outside of the hospital for feces, urine, etc. and keep clean and
neat. Also examine glass doors and windows for smudges and clean when necessary.
• Keep the client refreshment area in the hospital stocked, operational, neat and clean at
• Keep your appearance always clean and neat a must!
• Wear your nametag and a clean, pressed uniform at all times.
• Endeavor to keep the waiting area reading and educational materials current and
• Keep office plants watered as needed.
• Verify that all provided services and/or products have been accurately entered in the
computer on the client’s order/invoice and under the correct employee number.
• Collect deposits and payments for services at the time they are rendered.
Clients should pay their bill before they leave the hospital.
Follow appropriate protocol, i.e., credit applications, promissory notes and approval
by veterinarian, in cases where clients cannot pay their balance at the time of
• Print receipt and give to client for each visit.
• Balance the cash drawer with the computer summary report accurately.
• Prepare deposit slips and/or cash balancing worksheet for the daily bank deposit as
directed by the Hospital/Office Manager.
• Keep cash/checks, etc. secure at all times.
Benefits: We offer competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision and paid vacation/sick days, 401(k), generous employee pet discounts and more!
The information in this position description indicates the general nature and level of work to be performed. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Management reserves the right to revise the job description or require that other tasks be performed when the circumstances of the job change (for example, emergencies, change in personnel, workload, or technical development).
VCA began in 1986 as a privately owned company with one animal hospital. Today, we are the largest family of animal care providers nationwide. Despite unprecedented growth, VCA has never abandoned its devotion to compassionate, comprehensive pet care. Take a look at our open positions throughout the U.S. and Canada! We’re always looking for top notch talent to join the VCA family!