Trinity Health RN Registered Nurse - VAST Vascular Access per diem in Grand Rapids, Michigan
This is for a per diemopportunity on our VAST team here at Mercy Health Saint Mary's in Grand Rapids, MI.
Must be able to meet orientation/training schedule which may be required to work full time hours until signed off and successfully completed competency's to work individually on the VAST Team. Flexibility is needed for schedule.
The bedside Vascular Access Specialist Team (VAST) RN assesses patients for appropriateness of vascular access devices for enhanced intravenous (IV) access. Works collaboratively with physicians, APPs, staff, nurses, and patients to develop a patient centered plan for infusion therapy considering post-discharge needs. Demonstrates age specific and cultural competencies when interacting with patients and families across the acute care setting.
Minimum: Graduation from a NLN or AACN accredited school of nursing.
Baccalaureate Degree in the Science of Nursing (BSN) Degree from an accredited school of nursing.
Minimum: Valid RN license in the State of Michigan, and completion of advanced certification in infusion nursing or vascular access nursing within one year of hire. Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) certification.
Minimum Experience in a health care setting.
Preferred Five years of recent acute care experience, previous IV team
or PICC placement experience.
Required Skills and Abilities
Computer skills necessary to access and enter patient data. Successful completion of all required education and demonstration of competency for specific equipment and devices.
Utilizes the ANA Nursing Process (2010) to perform the following functions:
- Assessment: Collects comprehensive data pertinent to the healthcare consumer’s health and/or the situation.
- Diagnosis: Analyzes the assessment data to determine diagnoses or issues.
- Outcomes Identification: Identifies expected outcomes of a plan individualized to the healthcare consumer or the situation.
- Planning: Develops a plan that prescribes strategies and alternatives to attain expected outcomes.
- Implementation: Implements the identified plan.
- Coordination of Care – Coordinates care delivery.
- Health Teaching and Health Promotion – Employs strategies to promote health and a safe environment.
- – The advanced practice Registered Nurse and the nursing role Specialist provide consultation to influence the identified plan, enhance the abilities of others, and effect change.
- Prescriptive Authority and Treatment– The advanced practice Registered Nurse uses prescriptive authority, procedures, referrals, treatments, and therapies in accordance with state and federal laws and regulations.
- Evaluation: Evaluates progress toward attainment of outcomes.
Follows the ANA Standards of Professional Performance (2010):
- Quality of Practice – Systematically enhances the quality and effectiveness of nursing practice.
- Education – Attains knowledge and competency that reflects current nursing practice. Embraces change and lifelong learning, taking personal accountability to seek out experiences that reflect current practice, in order to maintain skills and competence in clinical practice and role performance.
- Professional Practice Evaluation – Evaluates one’s own nursing practice in relation to professional practice standards and guidelines, relevant statutes, rules, and regulations. Seeks and incorporates feedback concerning improvement in one’s own practice.
- Collegiality – Interacts with and contributes to the professional development of peers and colleagues.
- Ethics – Integrates ethical provisions in all areas of practice.
- Research – Integrates research findings into practice.
- Resource Utilization – Considers factors related to safety, effectiveness, cost and impact on practice in the planning and delivery of nursing services.
- Leadership – Provides leadership in the professional practice setting and the profession. Supports and participates in nursing shared governance and interdisciplinary decision-making.
- Environmental Health – Practices in an environmentally safe and healthy manner.
DUTIES Specific to VAST RNs
- Assess patients for clinical indications for enhanced IV access and collaboratively develops plan with physicians and/or Advance Practice Professionals (APPs), staff nurses and patient.
- Inserts peripherally inserted central catheters, mid-line peripheral catheters, ultrasound-guided peripheral IVs.
- Monitors and manages dressing changes for patients with midline and central line catheters.
- Assists with care, maintenance, and troubleshooting of IV access devices as needed.
- Provides support for access of ports and other long term central catheters as needed.
- Collaborates with Interventional Radiology when appropriate for failed bedside attempts or patients with exclusion criteria (e.g. bilateral mastectomies, severe bilateral contractures, anatomic contraindications).
- Assists inpatient units with problem solving and troubleshooting of IV access devices as needed.
- Demonstrates competency with equipment that supports and confirms correct placement.
- Documents in EMR and VAST progress notes, all procedures including catheter placement, dressing changes, and removal when applicable.
- Orders supplies to maintain appropriate PAR levels.
- Submits appropriate charges for all procedures.
- Provides daily surveillance of central lines on all hospital units, to include just in time education regarding central line care and maintenance best practices, patient and family education and quality data management.
Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patient, physicians, associates, and visitors to Mercy Health Saint Mary's.
Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values of Mercy Health Saint Mary's. Demonstrates all MHSM Behavioral Standards and Living Our Values behaviors.
Follows all MHSM policies and procedures including infection control (Use of body substance isolation and use of personal protective equipment when in contact with body fluids).
Assumes responsibility of performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that coworkers.
Reports all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately including near misses and actual errors either to management or using the MHSM reporting system.
Carries out the Mission, Vision and Values of Mercy Health Saint Mary's, Trinity Health Guiding Behaviors, Catholic healthcare, and passionately contributes to the overall success of the organization.
Models personal and professional growth by continuing education and obtaining certification in an area of specialization.
Knows, understands, incorporates and consistently demonstrates the Mercy Health Saint Mary's and Trinity Health Mission, Vision, and Values, Guiding Behaviors, and standards of behavior in practices and decisions.
Abides by the Provision of the Code of Ethics for Nurses (ANA, 2010).
Proficiently uses applicable technology and software to:
- Support and document nursing activities and patient care; and
- Access other work-related applications necessary to be an engaged and active colleague of the organization, such as company e-mail, Health Stream modules, employee engagement surveys, benefit and compensation information, and policies and procedures, etc.
Actively engages and participates in unit-based, and divisional shared leadership and nursing professional practice, including organizational initiatives that advance nursing practice and the quality of patient/family care, including activities in support of Magnet designation.
Maintains a high level of confidentiality, and articulates and demonstrates commitment to the Mission, Vision, Values and Guiding Behaviors of Trinity Health and Mercy Health Saint Mary’s. Demonstrates a commitment to the organizational Excellence in Action Service Standards: Appearance, Attitude, Communication, Courtesy, Privacy, Respect, Teamwork, and Responsiveness.
Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, the Organizational Integrity Program, Code of Ethics, and other policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) requires that individuals access, use and disclose the minimum patient information necessary for the individual to perform his or her job duties. This position's access to information systems will be based on job duties and reasonably limited to the minimum information necessary for the position to carry out its duties. Employees are authorized to access health information only when necessary to do their work and only when on duty.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Exposed to a variety of attitudes, personalities and reactions from employees and other members of the health care team, medical staff, patients and family members, etc. Possible exposure to a variety of contagious diseases and/or radioactive or other hazardous materials found in a health care environment.
– Demonstrates exceptional ability and willingness to take on new and additional responsibilities. Embraces new ideas and cultural differences while managing competing priorities.
Accountability– Willingly accepts personal responsibility for decisions, actions, attitudes and behaviors which contribute to the overall effectiveness of the organization. Communicates effectively, follows through on assignments, uses resources efficiently, participates in learning opportunities and treats others with respect and dignity.
– Serves as a role model and performs job responsibilities to the highest standards in every situation. Delivers “Something More” that ensures a more complete and personally satisfying experience for every customer.
– Understands and demonstrates behaviors consistent with the mission and values of the organization while contributing to the overall success of the strategic plan. All actions are rooted in providing excellent customer service.
Job Number: 00108598
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Organization Name: Mercy Health
Facility: MHWMI - Main Hospital
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: Day Shift