University of Oregon Associate Vice President for Research Operations in Eugene, Oregon
Associate Vice President for Research Operations
Apply nowJob no:524110
Work type:Officer of Administration
Department:Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation
Appointment Type and Duration:Regular, Ongoing
Salary:Commensurate with experience
Compensation Band:OS-OA13-Fiscal Year 2018-2019
Application Review Begins
July 15, 2019; position open until filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please upload a cover letter, CV and three professional references with your online application.
The Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI) promotes excellence in research at the University of Oregon. Research, both basic and applied, is fundamental to the mission of the University and is essential to Oregon’s economic and civic vitality. The office is committed to enhancing these efforts by providing administrative and financial support for sponsored programs, including identification of funding opportunities, proposal submission, research compliance, and contracts and grant administration. The office supports interdisciplinary research centers, essential core facilities and emboldens innovation and economic development through strategic partnering and technology transfer initiatives. The UO has a long tradition of interdisciplinary research that continues through the production of new knowledge and innovative solutions to society’s grand challenges.
The Associate Vice President for Research Operations (AVPRO) will serve as the strategic leader for research operations including finance, human resources, and other research administration functions within the Office of the Vice President for Research and Innovation (OVPRI). This position will oversee a number of research administrative units such as Research Finance and Business Administration, Research Technology Services, Research Compliance Services, and Animal Welfare Services. The AVPRO will lead significant projects to improve research administration on campus. This position will report to Vice President for Research and Innovation or the Sr. Associate Vice President for Research and Innovation.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Four years of supervisory experience
• Six years of related and increasingly responsible experience at a major research university, research institute, hospital, or research and development unit of a corporation in a broad range of management assignments.
• Progressive experience in leading and managing professional and administrative staffs in research and financial administrative settings.
• Demonstrated experience with leading, planning, or managing, complex projects, organizational development initiatives, policy and procedure development, and/or business process optimization.
• Ability to manage change, program and service development, and continuous improvement.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and demands, as well as a changing landscape of regulations and priorities.
• Excellent professional written and oral communication.
• Strong financial management, including budget forecasting and ability to direct finance staff.
• Service-oriented perspective and approach.
• Ability to identify and analyze complex compliance issues and risks.
• Creative, collaborative, and strategic thinking skills.
• Demonstrates skills leading multiple stakeholders through collaboration and conflict resolution.
• Commitment to the cultivation and enhancement of diversity and inclusion of people of different cultures, backgrounds, and employee groups.
• Familiarity with regulatory issues in a complex environment including satisfying federal, state, and university regulations, while advancing the University’s goal of creating a facilitative environment for faculty research.
• Strong skill and commitment to supervision, mentoring, and professional development of staff
• Advanced or terminal degree in public administration, business administration, or law.
• Experience in an institution of comparable complexity.
• Experience in a team-based professional setting, including developing and leading teams.
• Experience managing a shared services environment.
• Experience implementing technology/automation projects.
• Experience with regulations associated with human subjects, animal subjects, conflict of interest, research misconduct, and/or export control.
• Experience with BANNER or similar enterprise software systems.
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a background inquiry.
The University of Oregon is proud to offer a robust benefits package to eligible employees, including health insurance, retirement plans and paid time off. For more information about benefits, visithttp://hr.uoregon.edu/careers/about-benefits.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status. The University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. To request an accommodation in connection with the application process, please contact us firstname.lastname@example.org 541-346-5112.
UO prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression in all programs, activities and employment practices as required by Title IX, other applicable laws, and policies. Retaliation is prohibited by UO policy. Questions may be referred to the Title IX Coordinator, Office of Civil Rights Compliance, or to the Office for Civil Rights. Contact information, related policies, and complaint procedures are listed on the statement of non-discrimination.
In compliance with federal law, the University of Oregon prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and services. The Annual Campus Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at http://police.uoregon.edu/annual-report.
Advertised:17 Jun 2019Pacific Daylight Time