Trinity Health SJSEMI_Er Technician II- CCH_R07013 in Chelsea, Michigan
*Position Summary: *Under the direction of a registered nurse, the Emergency Room Technician is responsible for direct patient care considering age specific, developmental, cultural and spiritual needs. Demonstrates unit/area-designated competencies. Assists in establishing and maintaining a patient care environment that is clean, safe and conducive to patient/family well-being.
This is a Full Time ER Tech II position working 36 hrs per week on 12 hour shifts including holiday and every third weekend rotation.
Qualifications:Minimum of high school diploma or GED. Minimum of three months of previous related experience in the area of patient care delivery. Successful completion of a formal training period is required to meet the quality and productivity standards of the job. Certification in BCLS. EMT or Paramedic license preferred.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
Demonstrates excellent duties communication with team members:
- Takes initiative in reporting patient needs, abnormal findings and condition changes to RN
- Actively participates in structured and informal handoffs
- Promptly responds to patient requests.
Performs nursing care as delegated by the RN in an effort to identify/attain treatment goals such as:
- Applies support/orthopedic devices such as splints, crutches, slings
- Obtains routine vital signs, pain score and temperature
- Applies warm/cold therapies (warm blankets, ice packs, warm soaks)
- Provides care of the restrained patient including general care, application of the restraint and
on-going monitoring of the restrained patient
- Routine oxygen therapy, pulse oximetry
- Assist in preparing the body following death
- Promptly answers call lights
- Assists with Quality indicators (crash cart integrity checks, refrigerator temperature logs,
accucheck quality controls, urine dipstick controls)
Demonstrates sterile and aseptic technique as appropriate when performing delegated activities such as:
- Collects and sends specimens including blood and blood cultures
- Inserts and removes peripheral IV catheters (not to include regulating drip rate of infusion)
- Competency based point of care testing such as blood glucose
Records patient information and required data in appropriate areas in order to meet documentation and charging requirements.
Assists in establishing and maintaining a patient care environment that is clean, safe, and conducive to patient family well-being.
- Prepares patient room for arrival/assists in transfers and or discharge of patients
- Orients patient/family/visitors to patient room, unit, waiting areas and facilities
- Assists patient/family in the use of hospital equipment (call lights, television remote)
- Collects and disposes of soiled linen
- Cleans and maintains equipment according to procedures
Provides wound care as delegated:
- Cleanses soiled wounds
- Applies simple dressings to clean wounds
Completes delegated unit specific activities such as:
- Places patients on monitors/telemetry and maintains lead placement
- Checks/restocks unit emergency equipment/supplies and nurse servers
- Performs other unit specific duties as delegated
Completes delegated duties related to Business Health clients:
- Occupation medicine drug screens and breath alcohol testing, pre-placement physical visual acuity and vital signs as directed by RN
- Other unit specific activities as delegated by RN
Provides quality patient care by considering the age specific, development and cultural needs through competent clinical practice. Demonstrates unit/area competencies.
Practices effective communication in all interactions (patient, visitor, co-worker, etc.)
Promotes a positive work environment by demonstrating teamwork.
Promptly responds to patient requests. Inform patients about planned procedures and treatments in order to reduce fear and anxieties and to encourage patient cooperation.
Demonstrates effective organizational and time management skills. Able to work quickly and efficiently during high volume/acuity times. Performs other unit specific duties as delegated.
Other Functions and Responsibilities
1)_ Performs other duties as assigned._
Required Education, Experience and Certification/Licensure
1) Minimum of high school diploma or GED
2) Minimum of three months of previous related experience in the area of patient care delivery
3) Successful completion of a formal training period is required to meet the quality and productivity standards of the job
4)Certification in BCLS, and ACLS or obtain within 8 months of the first day of orientation.
**This document is intended to describe the generalized duties and responsibilities, the specialized job functions, and the essential requirements of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities, or non-essential requirements or reflect any accommodations made under the American’s with Disability Act, the Michigan Handicapper’s Act, or SJMHS’s Return to Work Program__
Job Number: 00191259
Location: Chelsea, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Chelsea Comm Hospital
Employment Type: Part time