Trinity Health Recreational Therapist - Contingent in Chelsea, Michigan
Position Summary: The Recreation Therapist provides leisure assessments and leisure activities for patients in accordance with the standards of the Recreational Therapist certification. She/he will offer activities patients on the Behavioral Health unit, maintaining a safe and therapeutic milieu. The Recreation Therapist functions as a member of the multi-disciplinary treatment team.
*Qualifications: * Bachelor's Degree in Recreational Therapy from accredited university. Registration through National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification. A minimum of three years behavioral health program experience in an accredited health care institution is preferred. Demonstrated expertise in crisis management highly desired.
*Essential Functions and Responsibilities: *
1) Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships. Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participates in their resolution.
2) Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patient, physicians, employees, and visitors to St Joseph Mercy Chelsea/Saint Joseph Mercy Health System. Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
3) Maintains knowledge to perform the duties of the job. Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately to management.
4) Demonstrates self-directed learning.
5) Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values of Trinity Health.
6) Provides quality patient care by considering the age specific, development and cultural needs through competent clinical practice. Demonstrates unit/area competencies.
7) Identifies and assists in resolution of problems related to safety, sanitation and maintenance of the environment.
8) Practices effective communication in all interactions (patient, visitor, co-worker, etc.)
9) Promotes a positive work environment by demonstrating teamwork.
10) Demonstrates competency with general and specialized assessment and treatment techniques for leisure needs and interests.
11) Orients patients to the therapeutic purposes, procedures and opportunities through Recreational Therapy. Facilitates patient participation in leisure activities.
12) Instructs patients in community resources for leisure options after discharge.
13) Completes patient related documentation in accordance with department and hospital policy, in a timely manner, and with content that is focused on relevant issues.
14) Contributes to an individual plan of care based on diagnosis, age, needs and capabilities. Consults with other team members and provides feedback to treatment team, regarding patient assessment and progress.
*Other Functions and Responsibilities *
1) Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience and Certification/Licensure 1) Bachelor's Degree in Recreational Therapy from accredited university 2) Registration through National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification 3) A minimum of three years behavioral health program experience in an accredited health care institution is preferred.
Required Skills and Abilities
1) Skilled in communication, teamwork, problem-solving, and service excellence. Demonstrated expertise in crisis management highly desired.
This document is intended to describe the generalized duties and responsibilities, the specialized job functions, and the essential requirements of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities, or non-essential requirements or reflect any accommodations made under the American’s with Disability Act, the Michigan Handicapper’s Act, or SJMHS’s Return to Work Program
THE INTENT OF THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS TO PROVIDE A REPRESENTATIVE SUMMARY OF THE MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES PERFORMED BY INCUMBENTS OF THIS POSITION. INCUMBENTS MAY BE REQUIRED TO PERFORM OTHER JOB-RELATED TASKS OTHER THAN THOSE SPECIFICALLY PRESENTED IN THIS DESCRIPTION. Where an individual cannot perform tasks in the way that is anticipated, accommodations which would enable the individual to perform such tasks in an alternative way will be explored.
Job Number: 00095364
Location: Chelsea, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Chelsea Comm Hospital
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: Day Shift