Trinity Health Pharmacy Technician in Chelsea, Michigan
General Summary: Under the immediate supervision of a pharmacist and Pharmacy Department leadership, provides daily pharmaceutical supportive services for the Department of Pharmacy according to established procedures and in compliance with pharmacy laws, other regulatory agencies and other members of the multi-disciplinary team. Responds to routine and emergency requests in a prompt and efficient manner, requiring a relatively high degree of independent judgement. Participates in departmental education activities and competency assessment. Actively supports and participates in the department's continuous quality improvement initiatives; promotes the organizational commitment to customer service.
1) Assists with filling, processing and dispensing of medications, re-packages and labels medication, including bulk supplies, with final check performed by a pharmacist.
2) Delivers controlled substances and other medications to nursing units' automated medication dispensing cabinets (ADC). Delivers other medication, IV solutions and all necessary forms throughout the hospital on a regularly scheduled basis to patient care areas.
3) Maintains cleanliness and aseptic technique while following established departmental compounding practices and procedures when mixing intravenous admixtures including: IVPBs, large volume and total parenteral nutrition, and non-chemo oncology infusions, if necessary. Prior to performing drug preparation proven competency while working aseptically in a horizontal or vertical laminar (biological safety cabinet) flow hood using aseptic technique is required. Adheres to USP 797/USP 800 Guidelines and maintains annual aseptic technique competency.
4) Supports the drug inventory process including rotation and restocking of drug dispensing areas with drugs and supplies needed to process patient medication orders. Ensures the maintenance of a clean and orderly work area.
5) Trains new pharmacy technicians and documents their progress and reports results to pharmacy leadership on an ongoing basis. Mentors and assists with training of Pharmacy Technician students and provides input regarding their progress
6) Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to ensure personal safety and that of coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately to management.
Required Education, Experience and Certification/Licensure
Requires high school diploma or equivalent. Completion of a formal Pharmacy Technician educational program and/or completion of an Associate's Degree preferred.
Previous pharmacy experience, hospital-based pharmacy experience preferred. Formal Pharmacy Technician program experiential education may be considered in lieu of work experience.
Certification as a Pharmacy Technician and Licensure in the State of Michigan are required.
Required Skills and Abilities
Essential mathematics skills to be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure. Possesses effective computer and keyboarding skills; ability to work with Pharmacy Information Systems and automation used in the medication use process. Able to use email to communicate with other members of the department including pharmacy management. Excellent critical thinking skills and ability to make decisions in a fast-paced work environment
Employees of St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea enjoy…
- Competitive compensation
- Full benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO, Life Insurance and Disability
- Retirement savings plan with employer contribution
- Opportunity for growth and advancement throughout SJMHS and Trinity Health
Visit www.stjoeshealth.org/careers to learn more about the benefits, culture and career development opportunities available to you at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System.
This document is intended to describe the generalized duties and responsibilities, the specialized job functions, and the essential requirements of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities, or non-essential requirements or reflect any accommodations made under the American’s with Disability Act, the Michigan Handicapper’s Act, or SJMHS’s Return to Work Program.
Job Number: 00104656
Location: Chelsea, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Chelsea Comm Hospital
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: Rotating Shift