Trinity Health Pharmacy Technician - Contingent/Flex in Chelsea, Michigan
GENERAL SUMMARY AND PURPOSE:
Provides delegated pharmacy technical services to patients and other Health System departments. Responds to routine and urgent requests in a prompt and efficient manner requiring a moderate amount of independent judgment, a moderate level of technical knowledge and a high degree of accuracy. Supports Retail Pharmacy Services at the direction of the pharmacist.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Requires high school diploma or equivalent.
Minimum of one year experience as a retail pharmacy technician.
Certification as a Pharmacy Technician and licensure in the State of Michigan are required.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Ability to accurately perform basic mathematical calculations. Ability to stand for long periods of time (at least four and up to eight hours per day) or to walk long distances without difficulty. Basic typing and computer skills to do order entry, generate reports, retrieve data and diagnose minor printer problems. Ability to operate basic office equipment including a calculator, cash register, fax machine, word processor, etc. Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail for up to 100% of the time when processing medication orders. Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment when prioritizing work responsibilities. Interpersonal skills necessary for effective communication with patients, physicians, nurses, and other Health System personnel. Analytical skills to determine when phone calls or emergency situations need to be referred to a pharmacist.
Ability to accurately and quickly perform mathematical calculations commonly used in retail pharmacy.
Computer skills: the employee must: a) be able to type by using 10 fingers and the home keys b) know and use common computer keyboard shortcuts c) have a working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel d) learn, in detail, the retail pharmacy operating system . This includes all aspects of order input, insurance billing, editing, and rejected claim correction.
The employee must be able to: a) effectively prioritize work in order to minimize patient wait times b) work independently without asking repeated questions on the same topic c) complete work with a high degree of accuracy and in a timely manner.
The employee must be able to: a) effectively work as a contributing team member with other pharmacy employees; b) communicate effectively and appropriately with patients, other hospital employees, and pharmacy employees; c) accept constructive criticism and apply it in order to improve their performance.
- Greets customers and Health System personnel. '
- Compiles appropriate patient/customer information, including third-party coverage, medication history, appropriate personal information, etc., required to process a prescription.
- Processes and fills prescriptions and medication orders. G
- enerates medication labels, auxiliary labels and documents for patient and pharmacy use.
- Selects and repackages oral solids, liquids and ointments in individual patient quantities and prepares appropriate repackaging documentation.
- Operates and maintains pharmacy software, automation, cash register, and associated pharmacy equipment.
- Reviews and processes computer data to determine and complete appropriate billing procedures, including third-party insurance carriers, SJMH-related groups/accounts, physician offices, etc. within appropriate time-frames.
- Generates and reviews data for medication trending, discrepancies, reconciliations, and other required reports.
- Assumes responsibility for the maintenance of accounts, records, documents, etc. as required by state and regulatory agencies, and as determined by Pharmacy.
- Communicates effectively with customers, physicians, Health System personnel, pharmacy third party payers and insurers, and external vendors by answering phones/voice mail, and responds promptly to their requests or by routing requests to applicable personnel.
- Resolves problems with orders still in process, and properly refers drug information requests or special situational problems to a pharmacist.
- Performs necessary Pharmacy functions including: ordering and stocking medications, removing expired medications, processing physician office orders, maintaining documentation as required by regulations, servicing customers requesting non-prescription/over-the-counter items, and other assigned Pharmacy tasks.
- Interacts with patients and staff on hospital units to support the discharge prescription program.
- Follows established departmental compounding practices and procedures.
- Maintains cleanliness of work areas and pharmacy including stock storage and other areas consistent with department policies and procedures, and documents as required.
- Delivers medications, durable medical equipment (DME), and health-related supplies according to departmental security and accountability practices.
- Assists in the training of new-hire Pharmacy Technicians, students/interns, and new-hire pharmacists (within their scope as a technician), documents their progress, and reports results to the appropriate Pharmacy supervisor on an ongoing basis.
- Attends mandatory staff meetings.
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships.
- Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participate in their resolution.
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patient, physicians, employees, and visitors to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital.
- Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
- Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values of the Health Systems Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to ensure personal safety and that of coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately to management.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs and documents routine cleaning responsibilities to ensure proper maintenance of the Pharmacy. Maintains a clean environment within the pharmacy as required, and monitors cleanliness in designated areas within the Health System. Performs technical and clerical functions as required at pharmacy sites jointly operated with SJMH. Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Number: 00159381
Location: Chelsea, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Chelsea Comm Hospital
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: Rotating Shift