Trinity Health Respiratory Therapist - Diley Ridge Casual in Canal Winchester, Ohio
In accordance with the mission of Diley Ridge Medical Center, the Respiratory Therapist will provide care in an atmosphere sensitive to each person’s physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs. The Respiratory Therapist is accountable for providing diagnostic respiratory testing & initiating, maintaining & evaluating therapeutic respiratory procedures within the standards, policies, procedures and guidelines of the Organization. The scope of the role is to support clinical care in the Emergency Department, Inpatient Unit, Imaging Services area and Outpatient Draw Station.
Job Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Education: Graduate of approved School for Respiratory Therapy leading to an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Respiratory Therapy
- Licensure /Certification:
- Maintains current Ohio Respiratory Professional License to practice in the State of Ohio.
- Maintains a current National Board Respiratory Credential for those in a program after 7/1/2002.
- Registered: Credentialed by the National Board of Respiratory Care for Registered Respiratory Therapy or as a Certified Respiratory Therapist.
- Experience: Clinical experience in adult & pediatric respiratory therapy procedures, such as aerosolized delivery of medication, mechanical ventilation, assisting with intubation , extubation, pulmonary function studies, emergency care and obtaining & interpreting arterial blood gases preferred.
- Demonstration of a high degree of self-direction, self-motivation, organizational skills, and leadership ability.
- Must have the ability to work well with other healthcare professionals.
- Effective verbal & written communication skills.
- BLS healthcare provider, required
- ACLS required within one year
- PALS preferred
- *Service Excellence:* Exhibits the Service Excellence Behavior Standards, (1) role modeling excellence for all to see. For example: demonstrates friendliness and courtesy, effective communication creates a professional environment and provides first class service creates a professional environment and provides first class service. (2) Provides for periodic rounding on patients & families, providing updates and initiating service recover on identified issues.
- *Clinical Practice*: (1) Performs basic therapeutic respiratory care to include: IPPB, aerosol therapy, postural drainage & percussion, oxygen therapy, arterial blood gases, non-invasive monitoring, etc. (2) Performs critical care patient management, to include: ventilator management, Code Blue / ACLS management, CPR, (3) Performs cardiopulmonary patient assessment & evaluation, pre & post intervention, (4) Performs cardiopulmonary diagnostic testing, to include: EKG, bedside pulmonary function screening, (5) Provides airway support during procedural sedations, (6) Performs clinical Point of Care testing, accurately, timely & efficiently, (7) Reviews and validates test results and follows up with appropriate action, (8) Records & reports test results, (9) Maintains instrumentation by performing calibrations, maintenance, QC & trouble shooting, (10) Operates & provides laboratory back-up on selected equipment (ABG analyzer, Point of Care devices), (11) Performs patient care activities as required by the situation. (i.e.) Phlebotomy, assisting with transport, specimen collection, delivery of blood & blood products, orthopedic splinting (12) Participates in critical situations, (i.e.) trauma, resuscitation, heart team, stoke team, within the scope of licensure and organizational policies & procedures.
- *Collaboration: *Confers with Registered Nurses and Physicians relative to respiratory patient management.
- *Education:* Provides patient & family education relative to the procedure being preformed.
- *Delegation:* Accepts responsibility for the direction of support staff in the implementation of patient care.
- *Communication:* (1) Communicates pertinent clinical information to appropriate members of the patients care team. (2) Keeps patient & families appraised and updated. Establishes and maintains strong positive communication with patients and families, (3) Assists the clinical staff with answering incoming & placement of outgoing phone calls, utilizing scripted messages.
- *Continuity Planning:* (1) Contributes to discharge planning for patients requiring respiratory therapy, which may include, but is not limited to: inhaler & oxygen use, & facilitation of transfer of patients requiring assisted ventilation.
- *Safe Practice:* (1) Verifies and implements physician & other licensed independent practitioner orders. (2) Administers medications, within the limits of licensure, according to the organization’s standards, policies, procedures, and or guidelines. (3) Initiates appropriate emergency procedures and responds as required in emergency operations plans, (4) Practices positive patient identification. (5) Maintains equipment appropriate to the care environment, (6) Follows testing guidelines, as outlined in policy & procedure manual, (7) Performs routine scheduled and specialized maintenance of ABG and Point of Care equipment, (8) Provides for a safe environment for patients (i.e.) side rails, patient positioning, maintains patient’s environment, cleaning patient stretchers & rooms between patient, provides post procedure clean-up, returning equipment to proper place, monitors patients who require direct visualization to ensure self protection or prevent elopement risk, (9) Maintains regulatory compliance, (10) Maintains a well stocked and organized work area, (11) Follows established guidelines for Risk Management and Organizational Integrity programs and applicable regulatory requirements, (12) Practices in accordance with Infection Control guidelines and within the guidelines for an environmental exposure, as outlined in the MSDS.
- *Documentation:* (1) Provides accurate and complete patient documentation in accordance with standards, policies, procedures and guidelines. (2) Documents quality control procedures & action taken to address variance, (3) Completes clothing list, (4) Captures & records charges.
- *Computer Skills:* (1) Utilizes computer systems, appropriate to position effectively. (2) Appropriate use of the internet and intranet.
- *Initiative:* (1) Assumes responsibility to facilitate improvements in patients care, staff & physician relationships and the working climate, (2) Responsible & accountable for professional development and the maintenance of licensure and competency, (3) Assumes responsibility for own education, (4) Maintains a responsible attitude toward individual performance in accordance with approved policies & procedures, (5) Assists in orientation of new staff & supports student experience as requested, (6) Demonstrates strong organizational skills and is able to multi-task, (7) Attends departmental meetings as required, (8) Assists in maintenance of departmental compliance with continuous regulatory readiness, (9) Accepts responsibility for being pro-active in cost effective utilization of supplies and resources.
Job Number: 00011334
Location: Canal Winchester, OH
Organization Name: Diley Ridge Medical Center
Facility: MCHS - Diley Ridge Medical Center
Employment Type: Part time
Shift: Night Shift