Trinity Health Telemetry Monitor Technician in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, one of the nation's top health care services providers, spanning five counties in Southeastern Michigan. SJMHS represents more than 2,700 physicians and 14,000 nurses and staff, and includes 5 Hospitals, 5 Outpatient Health Centers, 8 Urgent Care Facilities and over 25 Specialty Centers. SJMHS is part of Trinity Health a national Catholic health system with an enduring legacy and a steadfast mission to be a transforming and healing presence within the communities we serve.
As a mission-driven innovative health organization, we will become the national leader in improving the health of our communities and each person we serve. We will be the most trusted health partner for life. Our Core Values, Reverence, Commitment to the Poor, Justice, Stewardship, and Integrity guide our behaviors to help us achieve our Vision.
The Telemetry Monitor Technician (TMT) will monitor, recognize and report cardiac arrhythmias to the RN caring for the patient. The TMT will also observe a group of patients remotely using continuous tele-visual monitoring to assure patient safety. In addition, the TMT will perform other various duties related to patient monitoring and equipment maintenance in the central station and on the patient care units.
*DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES: *
- Monitors and interprets cardiac rhythms for a group of patients assigned to the Central Monitoring Area.
- Monitors a group of patients using continuous tele-visual monitoring to assure patient safety including patients at risk for falls, elopement, or other safety issues as identified by the nurse.
- Documents cardiac rhythms on the Cardiac Monitor Flow Sheet and patient behaviors/interventions on the Patient Monitoring Log.
- Prints cardiac rhythm strips and calculates P-R, QRS, and QT intervals once a shift and as needed or utilizes E-calipers and documents on Cardiac Monitoring Flow Sheet.
- Delivers rhythm strips and other patient care documentation to the patient care units as needed.
- Notifies RN of alarms or changes in rhythm or heart rate.
- Verbally redirects patients to promote patient safety including reminding patient to stay in bed, not pull at tubes, etc. When patient does not respond to verbal redirection, communicates with assigned unit caregivers to provide patient assistance.
- Collaborates with nursing leadership to prioritize/allocate use of monitoring resources such as telemetry and continuous visual monitoring cameras.
- Delivers telemetry and/or other monitoring equipment to floor, then nursing staff performs monitor hook up, patient preparation and teaching related to cardiac monitor.
- Disconnects, cleans and returns monitors and video cameras to the Central Monitoring Area upon completion of use.
- Troubleshoots equipment, assisting with battery replacement and leads off as needed.
- Maintains equipment and supplies.
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships. Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participates in their resolution.
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patients, physicians, employees, and visitors to Saint Joseph Mercy Health System. Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
- Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately to management.
- Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values of Saint Joseph Mercy Health System.
- Provides quality patient care by considering the age specific, development and cultural needs through competent clinical practice. Demonstrates unit/area competencies.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be able to read and write English at a high school level.
- Ability to perform some arithmetic calculations to calculate cardiac intervals.
- Previous experience reading monitors or EKGs required.
- Must successfully complete a basic arrhythmia class and receive a passing score within first 30 days of employment.
- Must complete an arrhythmia competency test and receive a passing score during the annual CMT Blitz education.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and concisely with various health care team members.
- Must be able to work under stressful situations, remain calm, work at a fast pace while maintaining accuracy in work.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time, watching computer screens and also be able to walk long distances.
- Adequate visual acuity to observe cardiac monitors for long periods of time and to analyze monitor strips.
For more information regarding career opportunities with Saint Joseph Mercy Health System please visit www.stjoeshealth.org/careers.
Successful candidate will be subject to mandatory vaccinations/immunizations unless they qualify for an available exemption.
This document is intended to describe the generalized duties and responsibilities, the specialized job functions, and the essential requirements of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities, or non-essential requirements or reflect any accommodations made under the American's with Disability Act, the Michigan Handicapper's Act, or SJMHS's Return to Work Program.
Job Number: 00140836
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Hospital Ann Arbor
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: 12 Hour Day Shift