Trinity Health Registered Nurse RN - Oncology Nurse Navigator (Multidisciplinary Care Coor) in Ann Arbor, Michigan
POSITION PURPOSE One year term limit position Assures the coordination and education for all patients in need of multidisciplinary cancer care services across the continuum.
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, one of the nation's top health care services providers, spanning five counties in Southeastern Michigan. SJMHS represents more than 2,700 physicians and 14,000 nurses and staff, and includes 6 Hospitals, 5 Outpatient Health Centers, 8 Urgent Care Facilities and over 25 Specialty Centers.Saint Joseph Mercy Health System is part of Trinity Health a national Catholic health system with an enduring legacy and a steadfast mission to be a transforming and healing presence within the communities we serve.An opportunity exists for a Nurse Navigator/Multidisciplinary Care Coordinator to join our Oncology department.
Multidisciplinary Care Coordinator assures the coordination and education for all patients in need of multidisciplinary cancer care services across the continuum.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrates sensitivity to the needs of customers, staff, physicians, patients and families. Responds to concerns, questions, and other feedback in timely and thoughtful manner.
- Identifies patients in need of ongoing diagnostic interventions and related services; and facilitates initial encounter in multidisciplinary clinic.
- Develops and manages monitoring systems to help meet quality initiatives.
- Monitors and tracks all patients for whom biopsies are recommended to ensure that:
- Biopsies are scheduled in a timely manner
- Patients are not “lost” to follow-up
- Patients receive education regarding the procedure
- Patients receive support, referrals to Social Work, etc. as needed for emotional support, financial assistance, etc.
- Follows up on all abnormal test results
- Special needs are assessed and referred appropriately
- Tracks biopsy results and follows all patients with positive biopsies to expedite definitive treatment and ensure that referrals to all necessary specialists (Radiation Oncology, Medical Oncology, Plastic Surgery) are accomplished in a timely manner.
- Organizes and actively participates in a regular multidisciplinary care conference, (Breast and Lung)
- Provides input to the Breast Advisory and Lung Advisory Committees in the development of quality assurance programs that include tracking information, care conference presentations, outcome measures and patient satisfaction indices.
- Participates in the development and provision of a community outreach program in collaboration with Health Communities.
- Works with the Breast Advisory and Lung Advisory Committees in the development and monitoring of algorithms for screening, prevention, risk reduction and treatment.
- Provides initial risk assessment and genetic screening
- Accepts all incoming queries related to genetic screening (male & female)
- Assesses risk for the development of cancer
- Refers to appropriate internal or external (University of Michigan Cancer Center/UMCC) resources for more in-depth assessment based on established criteria
- Utilizes nursing assessment skills to identify clinical, emotional, environmental variable that may impact patients’ needs and adjustment to diagnosis and provides necessary interventions and referrals.
- Maintains and builds follow up date systems for patients referred to the UMCC
- Identifies and refers potential participants to oncology research/cancer prevention clinical trials.
- Serves as resource advocate to assure access to appropriate breast health and oncology resources.
- Provides education and mentoring to Breast Clinic staff related to breast health, customer service and continuity of care
- Co-leads a multidisciplinary group that develops education tools and strategies for breast health learning needs across the continuum.
- Acts as a conduit to resources as needed by patient
- Considers age specific, cultural, developmental and spiritual factors when dealing with patients.
- Assists with establishment, interpretation, evaluation and revision of procedures and practices.
- Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships. Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participate in their resolution.
- Maintains confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patient, physicians, employees, and visitors to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital. Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
- Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision, and Values of SJMHS.
- Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately to management.
OTHER FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION/LICENSURE
BSN required, MSN preferred Current licensure as Registered Nurse in the State of Michigan required. Three to five years of progressive clinical nursing experience in Cancer, Thoracic, Women’s Health, or related field.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills with patients and medical staff. Able to function autonomously, self-directed and high levels of judgment and decision-making. Demonstrate organizational skills necessary to develop and manage multiple monitoring systems. Demonstrate proficiency in computer data bases and software to include Access, Excel, Word, PCIS, ADAC, and CERNER Demonstrate ability to effectively problem solve with internal and external customers and systems.
**This document is intended to describe the generalized duties and responsibilities, the specialized job functions, and the essential requirements of this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive statement of all supplemental duties, responsibilities, or non-essential requirements or reflect any accommodations made under the American’s with Disability Act, the Michigan Handicapper’s Act, or SJMHS’s Return to Work Program__
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job Number: 00159437
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Hospital Ann Arbor
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Day Shift