Trinity Health Patient Care Tech - 1 East in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, one of the nation's top health care services providers, spanning five counties in Southeastern Michigan. SJMHS represents more than 2,700 physicians and 14,000 nurses and staff, and includes 5 Hospitals, 5 Outpatient Health Centers, 8 Urgent Care Facilities and over 25 Specialty Centers. SJMHS is part of Trinity Health a national Catholic health system with an enduring legacy and a steadfast mission to be a transforming and healing presence within the communities we serve. As a mission-driven innovative health organization, we will become the national leader in improving the health of our communities and each person we serve. We will be the most trusted health partner for life. Our Core Values, Reverence, Commitment to the Poor, Justice, Stewardship, and Integrity guide our behaviors to help us achieve our Vision. DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: 1 East is a locked and secured 24-bed unit and services patients 18 through older adult. Services criteria includes the presence of life threatening and/or severely incapacitating symptoms and Potential of harm to self or others is considered serious. Patients are admitted Through Psychiatric Access department in the Emergency Department at SJMHS. In most cases face to-face assessments will be required and in other cases transfers or direct admissions from other locations may occur.
Under the direction of a registered nurse, the patient care technician is responsible for direct patient care considering age specific, developmental, cultural and spiritual needs. Demonstrates unit/area-designated competencies. Assists in establishing and maintaining a patient care environment that is clean, safe and conducive to patient/family well being including concepts of relationship based care.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Demonstrates excellent communication with team members:
- Takes initiative in reporting patient needs, abnormal findings and condition changes to RN
- Actively participates in structured and informal handoffs
- Performs purposeful hourly rounding
- Promptly responds to patient requests
Performs nursing care as delegated by the RN in an effort to identify/attain treatment goals such as:
- Records/calculates intake and output, obtains weights
- Applies support/orthopedic devices such as support hose and compression devices
- Obtains routine vital signs, pain score and temperature
- Assists the patient with: coughing, deep breathing, use of incentive spirometer, oral suctioning
- Applies warm/cold therapies (heating pads, ice packs, cryocuff, hot ice machine and warm soaks)
- Provides care of the restrained patient including general care, application of the restraint and ongoing monitoring of the restrained patient
- Care and removal of Foley catheters
- Routine oxygen therapy, pulse oximetry
- Assist in preparing the body following death
Assists patient in completing ADLs including:
- Bathing, showering, toileting, positioning, turning, transferring & ambulation using assistive devices as needed and appropriate
- Assists with feeding and menu selection
- Distributes/collects nourishments and orders late trays
- Answers call lights
Demonstrates sterile or aseptic technique as appropriate when performing delegated activities such as:
- Collects and sends specimens including blood and blood cultures
- Obtains blood specimens from intermittent infusion devices, flushes intermittent infusion devices
- Inserts and removes peripheral IV catheters (not to include regulating drip rate of infusion)
- Competency based point of care testing such as blood glucose
Records patient information and required data in appropriate areas in order to meet documentation and charging requirements.
Assists in establishing and maintaining a patient care environment that is clean, safe, and conducive to patient/family well being
- Documents all patient belongings upon admission
- Prepare patient room for arrival/ assists in transfers and or discharge of patients
- Orients patient/family/visitors to patient room, unit, waiting area and facilities
- Assists patient/family in the use of hospital equipment (telephone, lights television)
- Makes occupied and unoccupied beds
- Collects and disposes of soiled linen
- Cleans and maintains equipment according to procedures
Provides wound and exit site care as delegated:
- Applies simple dressing to clean wounds of stage I or stage II depth (partial thickness) following assessment of the RN (does not include dressings that require topical ointments, gels, creams, packing or ace wraps)
- Secures complex dressings that have been changed by other caregivers.
- Performs PEG care and dressing changes
Completes delegated unit specific activities such as:
- Gathers post procedural data after initial nursing assessment such as vital signs, circumcision checks
- Places patients on monitors/telemetry and maintains lead placement
- Clean intermittent urinary catheterization
- Checks/restocks unit emergency equipment/supplies and nurse servers
- Trach care and trach suctioning
- Performs other unit specific duties as delegated
- Bottle feeds infants.
- Assist new breastfeeding mother’s with latching and positioning of infant, set-up of breast pump and initiation of pumping
- Completes and documents newborn hearing screen
Demonstrates effective organizational and time management skills that support patient and unit goals. Demonstrates cost effective use of unit resources such as supplies and equipment.
Seeks ongoing learning experiences by attending appropriate inservices, continuing education and mandatory programs.
Maintains good rapport and cooperative relationships with staff, patients, visitors and other team members. Approaches conflict in a constructive manner. Helps to identify problems, offer solutions, and participate in their resolution. Implements service recovery strategies as appropriate. Creates an environment that promotes customer satisfaction and the patient experience
Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patient, physicians, associates, and visitors to St. Joseph Mercy Health System. Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in private places. Follows all HIPAA policies and procedures.
Behaves in accordance with the Mission, Vision and Values of Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital. Demonstrates all SJMHS “Performance Standards: Focus on Others”. Fully integrates Relationship Based Care into role.
Follows all SJMHS policies and procedures including infection control (use of body substance isolation and use of personal protective equipment when in contact with body fluids).
Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of coworkers. Reports all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately including near misses and actual errors.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND LICENSURE
Education: High school diploma or GED
Experience: Minimum of one year of previous direct care experience (acute or long term) OR successful completion of CENA, PCT, MA, or EMT course OR Student nurses must have completed their nursing fundamentals class of a BSN program.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Interpersonal skills necessary to effectively communicate with patients, families, and other employees Ability to:
- Follow instructions and record patient information.
- Prioritize assigned tasks and organize work.
- Walk and stand for 90% of shift.
- Lift, turn, and position patients.
Concentrate and pay close attention to details for over 90% of time Able to work in area with potential exposure to infectious agents and/or contaminants. Basic computer skills such as use of e-mail and simple word processing Maintains AHA Heartsaver certification
We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job Number: 00153737
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Behavioral Services
Employment Type: Part time