Trinity Health Oncology, Customer Care Representative III in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Healthcare is an industry that relies on seamless access. A customer care representative (CCR) may be the first line of communication for St. Joseph Mercy Health System's consumers and patients. Working in a call center environment, CCRs take inbound calls as well as initiate outbound calls, offering information and answering questions to assist our patients and their families navigate the healthcare experience. CCRs may also assist internal customers. This CCR position is not a standard call center role. This position is expected to treat interactions with our consumers, patients, and internal customers as a conversation; the CCR will listen to and assess our callers' unique needs. The CCR, through their skills and knowledge, will voice the solutions needed to help enhance, expedite, and effectuate an ideal healthcare experience for callers. CCRs will be expected to facilitate directing physician referrals, collecting class registrations, and processing physician consult request, as well as completing standard hospital switchboard calls. CCRs will also have the knowledge base to prioritize complex and emergent situations. Our focus is providing exceptional customer service with empathy while resolving the customers' questions and requests, ideally on their first call. Additionally, level 3 CCRs will provide leadership within the call center, coaching to level 1 CCRs and serve as a Liaison to a specific service line. The St. Joseph Mercy Cancer Center CCR III works together as a team with the philosophy of ""patient centered care"". The CCR III will work with a team of nurse navigators and other specialist as well as a team of physicians to provide the best possible care to every patient every day. This position has a high emphasizes on teamwork, collegiality and professionalism.
*SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:*
- Associates degree strongly preferred. Bachelor's degree desired.
- Medical terminology and service line specific experience highly desired.
- 4+ years of customer service experience, with 1+ years of experience in a healthcare call center environment or equivalent.
- Possess a high level of motivation with demonstrated qualities such as team commitment and productivity. Ability to communicate with a wide range of audiences.
- Able to multi-task; Ability to function calmly and efficiently in a fast-paced environment and during emergency situations. Work is frequently performed under pressure.
- Able to exercise judgment when responding to high-stress and emergency situations.
- Demonstrates expertise in operating a standard desktop and Windows based computer system, including but not limited to, EMR, Microsoft Office, and intranet. Proficient at utilizing other call center software as required while performing the essential functions of the job.
- Display knowledge of healthcare call center processes and procedures.
- Demonstrate dependability and flexibility. Ability to work a flexible schedule during assigned shift and cover absences in other shifts as needed.
- Maintains and applies expert knowledge of practices and procedures in call center service areas and maintains a broad knowledge of practices and procedures of other departments.
- Able to communicate clearly and professionally; display strong organizational and time management skills, have excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to supervise others and cover regional call center manager during times of absence.
- Be skilled at delivering instructive, supportive, collaborative and motivational coaching sessions that foster open communication.
- Able to speak clearly, with a pleasant voice, using proper English grammar.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time, and process detailed information for 80% of work time.
- Utilize verbal and written communication strategies and apply problem-solving skills to effectively elicit information in order to identify immediate needs of callers, including potential crisis calls; route calls to appropriate resource according to standard operating procedures and document per protocol.
- Answer incoming and make outbound calls using both electronic and paper-based documentation systems.
- Perform overhead paging requests and public address announcements per protocol.
- Process consult request for nursing and physician groups, adhering to established turnaround times.
- Monitor multiple emergency alarm systems, a dedicated 911 Emergency Line and Quick Call Weather Alert Radio.
- Accurately gather and verify demographic information using standard computer software and systems.
- Document all call information according to approved operating procedures using multiple software applications.
- Perform necessary research and work cross functionally to identify and suggest process improvements for problem resolution as observed via audit process.
- Assist management in identifying solutions and participate in implementing change, within the RCC.
- Identify and employ alternative approaches to communicate with callers when encountering barriers and escalate as needed.
- Orders and programs pagers as needed; process for needed repairs, when issues are identified.
- Provide effective coaching and training for CCR Level 1 and Level 2 team members in their daily functions.
- Assist with design, training and implementation of new marketing campaigns and service line workflow to meet stakeholder requirements.
- Contribute to team engagement by seeking new and creative ways to maintain motivation and team moral.
- Monitors all real-time operations to ensure metrics, including quality, are being met by utilizing multiple software applications to summarize performance.
- Utilizes appropriate tools to ensure staffing meets demand of call volume.
- Maintains multiple databases.
- Serve as liaison between the RCC and St. Joseph Mercy Specific Service Line.
- Collaborate with St. Joseph Mercy Service Line team members to expedite and coordinate new patient care referrals and/or for the coordination of patient care efforts, ensuring patients are navigated to appropriate resources.
- Provide compassionate care while addressing the many different inquires for specific patient population.
- Provide on-call coverage in Manager's absence.
- Handle more complex customer situations involving multi-site problem resolution and escalations.
- Participates in root cause analysis to advise on resolution.
- Provide project support as needed for servicing internal customers and quality improvement initiatives. Maintain professionalism and a positive attitude at all times, even when dealing with difficult situations.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Maintain good rapport and cooperative relationships.
- Approach conflict in a constructive manner.
- Help to identify problems, offer solutions, and participate in their resolution.
- Bring any complaints, concerns, or other issues to the Manager.
- Maintains the confidentiality of information acquired pertaining to patient, physicians, employees, and visitors to St. Joseph Mercy Health System.
- Discusses patient and hospital information only among appropriate personnel in appropriately private places.
- Meet quality assurance requirements and other key performance metrics, including punctuality and attendance.
- Engage and seek out opportunities for personal development.
- Behaves in accordance with the SJMHS Values of Reverence, Commitment to Those Who are Poor, Justice, Stewardship, and Integrity. Maintains a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State and local laws and regulations, Trinity Health Standards of Conduct and Organizational Integrity Program and related policies and procedures in order to ensure adherence in a manner that reflects honest, ethical and professional behavior.
- Assumes responsibility for performance of job duties in the safest possible manner, to assure personal safety and that of coworkers, and to report all preventable hazards and unsafe practices immediately to management.
Job Number: 00052611
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Organization Name: Saint Joseph Mercy Health System
Facility: SJSEMI - SJMHS Hospital Ann Arbor
Employment Type: Full time
Shift: Rotating Shift